5th Gear Test Old Merc's to destruction

Neil Plumridge

Reaction score
It seems we aren't the only ones having the "old v new" Merc arguement. Next week's episode of 5th Gear (Tuesday 8pm Channel 5) is testing just how indestructable old Mercs are. In the trailer they took a sledge hammer to one and then drove over it in a monster truck. Looked like and old E class estate. Could be worth a look. It'll be interesting to see if they follow up doing the same thing with a brand new Merc (I wonder how big their budget is....?)

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
i too am looking forward to this..!!

robparker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so are you watching it? its a w124 estate they are testing..... so far so good. havnt spotten which engine it has though

Balal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R230
That was really impressive performance by good old Merc!! so proud to own a merc now :)

robparker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i wonder if the values of our old Mercs will go up now ? :)

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
That was so cruel..............sadistic even.

Rotten so and sos.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Ron Palfrey said:
That was so cruel..............sadistic even.

Rotten so and sos.
Weren't we lucky they didn't choose the E classes full of rust referred to by benzworld in his thread Rusty E classes -Jeeeezuz???

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
hawk20 said:
Weren't we lucky they didn't choose the E classes full of rust referred to by benzworld in his thread Rusty E classes -Jeeeezuz???

They DESERVE testing to destruction (wouldn't take long).
The good old ones were quality cars and deserve to be cherished.

Ron

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
I know they were trying to destroy it, but why did VBH have to hit it with a baseball bat, that was just cruel and made me cringe !!!:( :( :(

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
C220GJS said:
I know they were trying to destroy it, but why did VBH have to hit it with a baseball bat, that was just cruel and made me cringe !!!:( :( :(

Wasn't just me then? My wife thought I was being daft when I complained that they were being cruel.

Ron

RichHammond

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R class 2006
On Top Gear last week they made a front room put of the interior on an old merc. Dont like to see it, a waist of a good car should leave them alone.

OP
N

Neil Plumridge

Reaction score
Oh I don't know. I thought the sight of them test driving it was hysterical.

robparker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i have have to admit it was quite funny what they did to that 140 on top gear!!! still a shame though!! top gear is the funniest program on tv nowerdays!!

desrobinson

Reaction score
Ron Palfrey said:
Wasn't just me then? My wife thought I was being daft when I complained that they were being cruel.

Ron

I too was cringeing when VBH waved that bat around. She was testing for rust but there was no science to her method. She didn't aim for usual places like wheel arches.

desrobinson

Reaction score
RichHammond said:
On Top Gear last week they made a front room put of the interior on an old merc. Dont like to see it, a waist of a good car should leave them alone.

It was a waste of a lovely motor but loved the way it still handled well, even though it was half a ton heavier. I must agree watchin JC's mates slide around while speeding up and breaking was funny though. As for the wood burning stove. Top Gear, don't pimp my ride.

OP
N

Neil Plumridge

Reaction score
Actually, with regard to the 5th gear one, if you look closely (I watched it a couple of times) there was actually quite a lot of rust around the wheel arches, especially where the trim came off. But you're right, VBH didn't get any where near the rusty bits.

The Top Gear one was far funnier and I have to say, the Merc they bought looked in far better condition - before JC filled it with concrete of course. Love the leaded windows !

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom