6 Weeks of the road and losing hair now...

Robert Tomlinson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
413/2001/2.2cdi
Hi Everyone, I have joined this forum to see if anyone can help.. i ahve been reading and trying everything i can find but to no avail.....

Story goes.....

As the weather got colder, the can started, then sorted coughed alot and stalled, then would take forever to restart it (with jump pack attached)...

So on the 13th i had been running around town and was getting low on Juice, and i had forgot my wallet, so managed to find some change in van and put just over a £5 of diesel , this brought the tank to just over quarter..
Drove a few mins up the road to a shop.... Came back out, struggled to start and few funny noises then away she went.... got a further 1.5 miles up the motorway and EDC Light came on and engine cut out... Cab filled with smell of diesel....
Recovery came out, and took my home. Took cover off and injector 3 was p....sing Diesel out top seal, So after some messing around got it out, and replaced with new one (after helicoil) the bolt port... Changed the filter aswell at the same time. Primed the system via the injectors inlets, till no air could be seen in the clear return pipe, and cleared the fault code.

But nope would not start, released that there was diesel leaking from the High Pressure pump onto the belt... So recon pump fitted, and primmed system again... but still nothing, Will start and run on easy start, but not on fuel... Put in 50 litres of fresh diesel today and tried pressuring tank, still nothing... So today after reading on here i took of the Pressure value and check the O Rings, All were intack , little lose, but the Fibre washer was missing...?? that normal? and there does seem to be diesel leaking down the back of the engine below with the end of the rail.

I have not had a petrol car for ooo 20 odd years, but i was stressed that day and might have put in petrol! not 100 certain, but there has been more few put in since then, so would have been flushed,
If it was a petrol/diesel mix would it have effected the seals on the High Pressure Pump, and the fibre washing in the regulator value?... any other ideas?

So broke down, EDC Light, Diesel P.......g out injector 3.... Replaced...
then found pump leaking 0 Changed ...
ordered new O Ring kit....
any other ideas, for what started with i though an Injector fault?
Thanks for any help or advice.

Bobby

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Did you check the leak off hoses?
Injector seals leak 'black death' gunge, not derv.
Changed the O rings on the HP pump lines?

OP
R

Robert Tomlinson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
413/2001/2.2cdi
No leak of the injectors, was back death on injector 3 before changing, all leak of hoses secure with clips and not leaking.
Yeah changed the o rings on the low pressure input on the HP pump

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have you topped up since the fill you suspect may have been petrol? If not sniff the tank. It's very noticeable when petrol is in the fuel.

OP
R

Robert Tomlinson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
413/2001/2.2cdi
Yeah 50litres added to tank and flsuhed first in case, was only £5 added to a just under a quarter tank of diesel

OP
R

Robert Tomlinson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
413/2001/2.2cdi
Yeah there is full to every injector...
Any ideas on what this connection is, Found it dangling between rear of engine and battery?
Thanks again

Attachments

• 26234962_1730985456933184_39585648_n.jpg
    26234962_1730985456933184_39585648_n.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 31

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Any ideas on what this connection is, Found it dangling between rear of engine and battery?
Thanks again
What is on the other end of it ?

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
The problem with mis fueling is the fuel pump. The fuel pump has close moving parts that need lubrication which is provided by the diesel. Petrol is a solvent and will very easily wash the diesel away creating a metal to metal condition. In it's worst case the pump will seize, if it doesn't seize the un-lubricated contact area can start to 'pick up' and shards of metal can end up damaging everything, including getting lodged in the injectors, which is why it's so expensive to repair.

As LK has pointed out, the smell of petrol lingers long after you think it's gone. If you think you've mis fueled then you should still be able to smell the petrol in the tank. If you can smell petrol then pump damage is almost certain and the only remedy is replacement.

Sorry.

OP
R

Robert Tomlinson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
413/2001/2.2cdi
The other end of the cable just goes into a wiring loom kinda thing... Pump has been replaced and there is no smell of petrol anywhere, Even emptied the old filter as was still sitting full and no smell of petrol, That was more stabbing in the dark, kinda hoping for some kinda problem that is stopping the vbus starting.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Thanks again
could we have some more images please, one looking at the end to try and see if it's an electrical connector or not.

The only thing i've found that looks remotely like that is a brake pad wear sensor.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The end bit of that connector almost looks like it would pop on to something a bit like the way a spark plug connector fits on .....is there anything nearby/within reach of its cable length that would fit that description ?

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I could say great minds think alike , but my mind is near hopeless :shock::rolleyes:
I'm not that far behind....the disasters i've had......you know the ones where it didn't quite go to plan, or something has just dropped on the floor and you've no idea where it came from:eek::eek:.

It appears Mercedes use push on caps for the glow plugs, i've been looking on ebay for something that looks similar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes...447570?hash=item25dcd096d2:g:JpoAAOSwImRYbkGo

Just a thought.

OP
R

Robert Tomlinson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
413/2001/2.2cdi
Its not a glow plug connector, wrong shape. Plus tried warming diesel with fire on airitake , Will start and run of easy start, so that bypass the glowplug action as well. ?

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Yeah 50litres added to tank and flsuhed first in case, was only £5 added to a just under a quarter tank of diesel

You'll be very relieved to know that those proportions won't cause any damage.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom