'88 300D (603) glow plug replacement (inlet manifold off?)

greenbean

Reaction score
I am new, so please be gentle! I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it.

Can the glow plugs be changed on the car without removing the inlet manifold? I've managed to change two, but the others (#6 in particular) looks like a mare to get to. I can get a socket on another two, but they seem very tight and I'm worried about breaking them!

Is there anything I should look out for if the manifold needs to come off?

mebobster

Reaction score
yes, i would...and did.

ive recently changed glowplugs on my 1997 E300TD, yes. from my experience, removing the inlet manifold should be done, so the job is easier to do, safer, and probably quicker overall actually. with regard to anything else: just keep a look out! good luck!

Cosworth

Reaction score
On a 1988 300D, they have small glow plugs, it is possible to change the glow plugs without removal of the inlet. You just need the right tools.

A good quater drive set is ok and a 12mm rachet spanner.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
I managed with 1/4" ratchet, UJ coupling and deep 12mm socket on a similar 5cyl 602 and had no real problems, Elsewhere on this forum there are warnings about the risk of breaking the head off a plug if they get pulled sideways or have sized in, the general advice seems to be remove the manifold so that you get a nice easy access to pull on the spanners.
Also note that some reccomend that you do the job of extracting the plugs with a hot engine, which makes sense cos' the ali will expand more than the steel plug body.

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
As wireman says make sure the engine is hot. I removed a stubborn glow plug last weekend but prior to trying to remove applied penetrating oil every day the preceding week. Worked a treat.

OP
G

greenbean

Reaction score
Many thanks to all of you for the advice. All I have to do now is wait til it stops raining long enough for me to get started!

OP
G

greenbean

Reaction score
The manifold was removed and the plugs replaced. There was one stubborn one, but it came out eventually! Glow plug light now works and it runs much better after starting, so I presume there were a couple of dodgy plugs that hadn't been changed for some time!

I'm now in the process of replacing the vacuum pump... another interesting story!

Thank you to all who took the time to help
x

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom