'93 500SL noisy torque converter?

meanie

Reaction score
Have the above car in with what sounds like a noisy torque converter.It's a 4 speeder with 67000 on the clock & full MB history.
Out of pure optimism,I'm going to change the oil & filter tomorrow,but I'm not to optimistic.Has anyone else come across this before?

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
torque converter

HI there, i have had them seize up ie; screech to a halt and go solid and also come loose on the flex plate and rattle so i suppose noisy is possible, have you had it up on a ramp and had a good listen, getting someone to put in under load in gear / brakes on ,not quite to stall speed and only briefly as you will overheat the box! it may give you a clue, I think changing the oil is waste of money unless it is black and burnt out, in which case the box would be u/s anyway! it needs a good look and listen at before you start pulling the box out , drive around to a few merc dealers and ask for advice from service managers some are helpful! and will get it up in the air to have look ( for the price of a few pints) all the best rapido!

OP
M

meanie

Reaction score
I seem to remember reading an SI on this a few years ago.Went along the lines of restriction in the filter causing it,but as I say,it was a good few years ago.
The only person at the local dealer that I would trust for advice is on holiday this week.

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
torque converter

I know what you mean but normally at that point the restriction causes lack of drive as well ,but doesnt sound like converter to me if noise is coming from the box ie: oily screeches . keep us posted please .

OP
M

meanie

Reaction score
I've just spoken to the owner and the car has been parked up for 10 months.It was fine before.
The noise is worse from cold,and is just about audible in park.Slot it into drive though & it immediately becomes pronounced.

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
noisy box

As its been standing for at least 10mths and it was ok! before! its worth an oil change and look in the sump and filter etc isnt it, as thats the cheapest option at the moment and may give you a clue, if the info given to you is correct.sorry to sound pessimistic but we are not always given the true facts to work with are we! all the best rap.

OP
M

meanie

Reaction score
Transmission service done & noise cured!!
What it hasn't fixed though is the bits of clutch plates lying in the sump pan!!!!
I've cut the old filter open to have a look & it was choked up with the sludgy crap that was also in the bottom of the sump.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom