'93 W124 280E - catalyst or not?

S80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None at the monent, but there's an OM642 in the Jeep Grand Cherokee!
It's been MoT (or is that VOSA?) time, and the W124 managed to fail only on an ineffective parking brake :D A new set of shoes/pads/discs duly sorted that out - the old shoes had cracked badly, even though of very adequate thickness :-? Much swearing was forthcoming removing and refitting the shoe hold-down springs, BTW!!

Anyway, I had a look at the emissions test result and noticed the lines: 'MOT Exhaust Emissions Test Results: Non-catalyst equipped vehicle (metered check)' at the top of the sheet.

It was my understanding that all M104 2.8 litre engines were catalyst-equipped.... am I mistaken? I notice that the power output is variously quoted as either 193 or 197 PS - is this the clue? The car is a late 'amber indicator' model fitted with the M104 2.8 engine.

The emissions results were: CO 1.344% (limit 3.5%), HC 196 ppm (limit 1200).

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
I think post-1992 cats were an EEC legal requirement. Most W124s I've seen had them before then. You'd have to get it on a ramp to find out...

I'd have thought all 280 engines would have a catalyst and the all-electronic later 280s would have 3-way cats. But I'm no petrol car expert

nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Easiest way to check if you have a cat. Look on top of the air cleaner. If you have a hole with a rubber grommet in it, you don't have a cat. if your air cleaner top is hole free then you have a cat.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
S80

Your car will be the all electronic HFM engine number 104942. This will be with a catalyst.

If your engine is as above then ignore Ian's previous post as not applicable.

OP
S

S80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None at the monent, but there's an OM642 in the Jeep Grand Cherokee!
Thanks for the input, guys.

David - the engine is indeed the M104.942 with HFM control. I don't understand why the MoT emissions test sheet shows 'non-catalyst equipped vehicle'. Maybe the test equipment database is incorrect?

I had intended just to use the W124 as a stop-gap between cars, but I've actually grown quite attached to it - an nice car to 'waft around' in, and encouraging a more relaxed driving style (most of the time):D

So I'm giving it a bit of a 'fettling' - and feel a bit more confident knowing there's so many knowledgeable people on here:)

Cheers,
David

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
If you want to fettle it, splash out £20 on a set of new front antiroll bar bushes. They transform the way the car rides

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom