'A' Class front suspension swivel Bearings!

lofty

Reaction score
I haven't visited for a while but 'A' Owners you need to know about this one!

I have recently brought to the attention of MB that the front swivel bearing on the struts of the 'A' Class has only got 16 ball bearings when in fact the cage is built/designed for 32
Their technical staff are looking into this information which includes photos however they say they cannot report back to customers with the outcome .
SO owners of 'A' Class who have suffered and will continue to suffer from steering column problems as well as broken springs Take note .
By increasing the number of ball bearings in the front swivel bearing you, one will find the steering much lighter at low speeds and the car is easier to park etc you may also reduce the torque required to turn the steering thus reducing the chances of requiring a new column and also reduce the spring damage on you front suspesion because the spring turnes as a unit rather than being coiled and uncoiled.
For more information please go to my page 26 where photos showing the finding and how in came to be discovered is available. don't wait for Mercedes to inform you the moon will drop out of the sky first!

http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.26.htm
best wishes Lofty

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Lofty

Good write up and excellent web site, I found your site some years ago shortly after purchasing the wifes A160.

Im currently working a fix for the A class semi and full automatic gearboxes, I will be taking pictures of the fix and will put text to the pictures.

If it works I will forward the info to you so you can put it on you sight if you wish.

jib

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I haven't visited for a while but 'A' Owners you need to know about this one!

I have recently brought to the attention of MB that the front swivel bearing on the struts of the 'A' Class has only got 16 ball bearings when in fact the cage is built/designed for 32
Their technical staff are looking into this information which includes photos however they say they cannot report back to customers with the outcome .
SO owners of 'A' Class who have suffered and will continue to suffer from steering column problems as well as broken springs Take note .
By increasing the number of ball bearings in the front swivel bearing you, one will find the steering much lighter at low speeds and the car is easier to park etc you may also reduce the torque required to turn the steering thus reducing the chances of requiring a new column and also reduce the spring damage on you front suspesion because the spring turnes as a unit rather than being coiled and uncoiled.
For more information please go to my page 26 where photos showing the finding and how in came to be discovered is available. don't wait for Mercedes to inform you the moon will drop out of the sky first!

http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.26.htm
best wishes Lofty

I have noticed this situation with the missing balls in the swivel bearings before, and the only thing that comes to mind is the rather hurried revisions made to the A Class, following the infamous 'Elk Test' issues. Perhaps they decided that increasing the weight of the steering might counteract some tendancy for the steering to oscillate rapidly left and right in a crash avoidance situation, helping to avoid rollover.

Just idly kicking the idea around, but not beyond the realms of my imagination...

OP
L

lofty

Reaction score
Yes , thanks because so many owners are now suffering the dreaded 'F' On the auto gearbox display I decided to add what little information to the gearbox page as a link page I wanted to keep the site loyal to tha A160 W168 manual box but there are two many other owners with auto boxes to ignore so yes will be pleased to add any info that will help owners run there cars with reasonable costs rather than fitting complete engines and gearboxes as seems to be prefered by MB .

The elk test did come to mind when this bearing problem came to light,, however with the ESP the lighter steering shouldn't affect it's performance and I have only noticed as being lighter when going slow and parking.
As somebody said on another forum MB have just turned out the 2nd million of 'A' Class
Well 16 x 2 x 2000,000 is quite a lot ball bearing, so how about the new 'A' 169 and the 'B' Class have they done the same thing there I wonder?
ELofty
will do as you suggest early next week, meantime let me thank you again.
Just a question, is the hydraulic thrust bearing related to the clutch or gear or differential you think?
In order to your question, the noise go away when I press the clutch all the way down even if gently and it does not happen until the car is under 90°C, so only with "warm" car.
To have an idea, just after about 1/2 h or more the engine is started, before it, NO noise.
Additional info (forgot to give you):
- With the clutch, Mercedes also changed the bearing related to
- My car has got manual transmission
Well as sad as it is we will never know because mMercedes Can't discuss such problems with owners. Coblers! we are the very people who should be told after it's not the garages who have highlited it.

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom