A little mistake BIG price.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
He reinforces the belief time and time again, owning the instruments is the easy part, understanding their capabilities and interpreting the results returned to the display screens is where his strengths really are.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
BMW engineers should be ashamed how on earth can you design two electrical connecting plugs the same when they have completely different roles. I’ve come across this before where there has been a disconnect between the mechanical and electrical design offices

I really enjoy watching this guy he has the ability to communicate a very technical subject better than anyone I’ve come across he definitely joins the internet hall of fame

Last edited:

MJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'09 S211 E220 Cdi manual - 216k miles and counting
BMW engineers should be ashamed how on earth can you design two electrical connecting plugs the same when they have completely different roles. I’ve come across this before where there has been a disconnect between the mechanical and electrical design offices.

Agreed that is poor form. I have a Yamaha R6 that has similar, two connectors to the throttle bodies are identical, and the wiring is long enough on both to mix them up. Get them wrong, as I did, and it simply pins the throttle wide open when you start it - not what you want to see when you have just rebuilt the engine from the crank up :rolleyes:

DiagnoseDan, the YT channel linked in the first post, is an excellent channel for the DIY'er - really excellent explanation of the thought process behind diagnosing a problem.

Martin.

weds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class Estate 350cd, Porsche 928 S4
A nice explanation of a 'simple' fault. But rather sort sighted of BMW in not making the 2 plug and sockets different, I suspect its because the solenoids are both the same.

I also watch the 'South Main Auto' channel, he goes through his thought process in diagnosing problems with cars.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
A nice explanation of a 'simple' fault. But rather sort sighted of BMW in not making the 2 plug and sockets different, I suspect its because the solenoids are both the same.

I also watch the 'South Main Auto' channel, he goes through his thought process in diagnosing problems with cars.
I do as well. "there's your problem!!" :)

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Crikey, but not unexpected. The auto industry always plays to a price rather than function.
Its standard practice in aerospace to ensure that connectors can't be mixed up whether electrical or hydraulic.

Top Bottom