A quick tyre question!

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Hi all,

Need to change the tyres on the B but have a question.

The size is 215/45/17 and I currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE050 but I have noticed that one pair are 87’s and the other are 91’s.

I was under the impression that this number related to the diameter so how can 2 tyres of the same size have a different diameter or have I got something mixed up in my tiny mind!!!

Thanks all.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi all,

Need to change the tyres on the B but have a question.

The size is 215/45/17 and I currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE050 but I have noticed that one pair are 87’s and the other are 91’s.

I was under the impression that this number related to the diameter so how can 2 tyres of the same size have a different diameter or have I got something mixed up in my tiny mind!!!

Thanks all.
That figure is sidewall strength or load , not size buddy . Your cars manual should recommend a particular requirement for the tyres

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Thanks all for the replies.

I’ve obviously misread some info somewhere, so apologies to all, should have checked things again myself.

The manual specs are 87 V, which my rear pair are, actually MO fit, but the fronts are 91 W, which are extra load (XL) tyres with the higher speed rating.

Tyres I’m looking to get are XL and are available as W or Y so I’m more than covered!

Regards and food day to all.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Higher load rating = stiffer sidewalls, which can mean less comfortable ride

(Don't drop below the manufacturers ratings though)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
As the car is overseas I’m in the first instance trying to find a seller who is happy to ship overseas as tyres where I am are expensive. I’ve done a comparison between the local price and a UK seller for Bridgestone Potenza’s and they were over €140 more for a set of 4!!!

If I though can’t find anyone, I’ll have a mooch around online and see what I can find and use a freight forwarder who brings down stuff from the UK on a weekly basis so even if I get them from the UK they’ll be with me about a week later.

I though am likely to get some Avon ZV7’s (still trying to get a cost for those locally) as they have a good combination of price, rolling resistance and wet performance and they are cheaper than the Potenza, and have better rolling resistance, C instead of E and A instead of C for wet.

Personally I’ve never bought tyres through Black Circles as I’ve always found a cheaper alternative for the same tyres I’ve wanted to buy! There are plenty of online sellers these days so hopefully this will help me save a few bob or euro’s as the case may be!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
In my experience Blackcircles are a long way off being the cheapest place to buy though, so do look elsewhere before you actually buy. You might even find that your local independant is cheaper !

I picked Blackcircle purely for the tyre numbers. ;-) I always use my local indie tyre place who is always competitive with the interweb

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thanks all for the replies.

I’ve obviously misread some info somewhere, so apologies to all, should have checked things again myself.

The manual specs are 87 V, which my rear pair are, actually MO fit, but the fronts are 91 W, which are extra load (XL) tyres with the higher speed rating.

I would put a set of these on it, the stiffer the sidewall the harsher the ride so keeping to an 87 with a Y rate on speed will be perfect

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s15...Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_71dB

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Thanks again for the further replies and info.

Camskills was one of the places I was going to check for prices and to see if they ship overseas, but thanks for the heads up on price for the Rainsport 3. The ZV7’s are basically the same price but have a better rolling resistance rating (C) over the Rainsport 3 (E) so I presume I’d get better fuel economy from them which is something I need to think about as most driving is urban or extra urban at best in Malta.

The B I have has what was called the ‘sport pack’, so it has been factory lowered, 35mm over standard and has been fitted with stiffer springs so an 87 might give a better ride, but I’m no real expert so I might no even be able to tell!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Try tyre leader mate

Try finding a way to contact them when they get the order wrong, and they do that often, then you'll never use them again.
Hitting your head of a brick wall brings more pleasure than dealing with Tyreleader.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thanks again for the further replies and info.

Camskills was one of the places I was going to check for prices and to see if they ship overseas, but thanks for the heads up on price for the Rainsport 3. The ZV7’s are basically the same price but have a better rolling resistance rating (C) over the Rainsport 3 (E) so I presume I’d get better fuel economy from them which is something I need to think about as most driving is urban or extra urban at best in Malta.

I doubt you would notice the difference in fuel economy

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Also worth noting the wet weather rating does not indicate how good they handle in the wet either. It's a brake test in the wet only, I bought wet "A" rated tyres which would wheelspin all day long pulling out of wet junctions and never felt very safe on wet bends either.
Not sure the new tyre ratings are much help to be honest.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Haha it may be a quick tyre QUESTION but it is a series of long answers!:rolleyes:

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Also worth noting the wet weather rating does not indicate how good they handle in the wet either. It's a brake test in the wet only, I bought wet "A" rated tyres which would wheelspin all day long pulling out of wet junctions and never felt very safe on wet bends either.
Not sure the new tyre ratings are much help to be honest.

Thanks for the info, but I suppose you have to start from somewhere and at least this information gives you an indication of something at least!

Being honest though I’d much rather rather opt for A rated wet tyres, although I’ve never had any issues with the Potenza’s currently fitted, if there isn’t much of a cost differential as there can be lots of surface water on the roads near in Malta when is rains!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
No drains on Maltese roads.
That's why local insurers often ask where you live on Malta - some areas are built over old culverts, and flood first during the rainy season. Hope you're not in Birkirkara!
Better on Gozo - fewer wheel-smashing potholes.

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
No drains on Maltese roads.
That's why local insurers often ask where you live on Malta - some areas are built over old culverts, and flood first during the rainy season. Hope you're not in Birkirkara!
Better on Gozo - fewer wheel-smashing potholes.

Sorry did post a reply but obviously something went wrong, although I’ve had a few internet problems recently!

Actually I am in B’Kara the top end of Valley Road rather than the Msida end which always floods in the rain. Things have improved dramatically since the flood relRoadbutief scheme went in, even last night with all that rain there was there wasn’t that much water running through Valley Road. Not though ever been asked where I live!

Potholes, indeed some are so big and deep you could practically go caving in them! I just try to avoid the really bad roads or when I do use them I just drive slowly although some of the worse roads are being sorted which is good news all round!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom