A140 Auto-lost Gears!!!!

three pointed star

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Members, My brother in laws 2001 A140 Automatic has lost it's gears and gone into limp mode, which I think is 2nd gear and reverse. The gear selector indicator on the dash has now got a 'F' in the box, which I guess is for fault. It is also very 'clunky/sharp' when selecting drive or reverse. This is a 28000 mile car, so he's not a happy bunny at present. Anyone else out there have any ideas or experiance of this transmission/faults. Thanks for looking.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Remove the sump pan and check for metal filings. (drain atf first)

Filings found = new box

No filings found = probably valve body kaput.

(could be the selector but unlikely)

OP
three pointed star

three pointed star

Reaction score
A140 Auto-Lost Gears!

Hi Black C55, Thanks for your response. Is this a common failing with this model/transmission. Pretty poor if it is, as I said already, on a 28000 mile car (Full History/4 stamps) that has had a pampered life. His elderly Golf Auto, which he replaced with this had done in excess of 120000 miles, with no attention or major expendiiture needed to engine or transmission. What do you think a costing would be to rectify the given faults, best/worst. Thanks again for you input.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
poss One of the clutch pack retaining clip/drum splits, remove box and replace drum. Known fault.

OP
three pointed star

three pointed star

Reaction score
A140-1 Speed Auto

Thanks for your thoughts guys, will pass the 'good news' on.

Top Bottom