ABC...leaking.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It was too good to be true, just over 1 year in my ownership and the ABC has sprung a leak.

I noticed it because the offside front wheel was soaked in fluid.

I was 120 miles from home at a wedding, so I left it until the next morning to investigate and see how to get home.

The suspension had not dipped and the warning light was not on initially so...we started for home.

The red "drive carefully" sign came on and stayed on shortly after we started. But the suspension was still level and the car was driving fine. I didn't go above 50 just in case it let go all of a sudden. It didn't we got home with no drama.

On removing the wheel I could see the leak was from the area of the pulsation damper not the strut.

So...into the garage this morning (yep they're open) to see what's what.

Funnily enough there had always been a drone which I suspected was the pulsation damper and I had bought one intending to fit it one day...the drone is gone...these really are very quiet cars...lol.

Reactions: Mic

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That was a lucky escape Ciaran!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Was indeed, I had a moment of hope in my SL when it was giving grief last time, thought it was the pulsation damper but no..it was the pump! Praise be to the ABC gods!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Glad to hear you were lucky :)
Call me stupid, but I carry a new litre of that MB pentosin cf ? (aBC fluid) stuff in the boot ... just in case. :)

As its quick to check the level dipstick.

Fortunately never lost any fluid, except when it was hanging on a ramp, but its just my insurance policy to get me home without going low on fluid.

Probably unneccessary but hey £15 to possibly protect a pump.

OP
N

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
So...I may have cooked the pump.

The garage can't get any pressure in the system. Decisions to be made. I see re-manufactured exchange pumps for £275...might go down that route.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
go for the recon MB unit Ciaran. Don't be tempted by cheapo offers on ebay. I still have my failed ebay pump in the garage, they wont honour their warranty...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As above - my recon cost me around £600 iirc from MB, but that was with my Indy's cut in there ( I had no time to source from Grangemouth which I'd normally have done)

OP
N

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
go for the recon MB unit Ciaran. Don't be tempted by cheapo offers on ebay. I still have my failed ebay pump in the garage, they wont honour their warranty...

Interesting...from whom did you buy it?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting...from whom did you buy it?

Which one?

The eBay unit, I can't remember where from. If you search my ABC thread you'll find the details. €450.

The MB recon unit was £470 and came with a 2 year MB warranty.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

I would definitely go this route.
Especially as they are not exactly easy to fit! ( maybe you are up to changing it yourself .. I just couldnt do that)
Even if you can fit it yourself, I am sure you would completely flush the system, in case the failed pump shed some crap, so just the fluid on its own costs a fair bit. ( think I used 13 litres at £16 each .. sorry for beiNg mean but it all adds up).
So if you get a bad pump cheaper its just not worth it.
I also think any "intelligent" future buyer would see a new pump with full MB Warranty as a plus point. As I reckon it would cost a £1K fitted and flushed, I would probably pay £500 more for a car that had just had it done. Just like I value new MB ABC struts, if its been done, probability dictates it will lower my future maintenance cost.

OP
N

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
So...I dodged a bullet.

The pump is fine, they got the system pressurised and the new pulsation damper fitted. The leak was from the union with the damper (I think). All go later today.

Reactions: Mic

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So...I dodged a bullet.

The pump is fine, they got the system pressurised and the new pulsation damper fitted. The leak was from the union with the damper (I think). All go later today.

Pucker factor- medium, going away.

Lucky escape there chap!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
So...I dodged a bullet.

Glad for you ... hmmm a nice result :):):)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom