About engine oil and smell petrol from within the car.

Superman1992

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a C220 CDI sport coupe, which have been done a service B around mid april.

But recently, while driving the car, i can smell petrol within the car, the smell isn't as strong when driving, but when the car is stationary, such as stopping for traffic light, the petrol is very strong, especially after the car been warming up.

I checked the car after parking, and i can't see any oil leak on the floor. Also, i been monitor the engine oil, 1 week ago, the engine oil is report back either in "ok" or "perfer.check.by.service". Now it just always report back as "perfer.check.by.service".

I hope someone can give me advice and roughly what may be the problem for this.

Thanks for the help and support.

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
I always thought that the C220 cdi was diesel, not petrol.

(At least mine is!!)

OP
S

Superman1992

Reaction score
i know, the C220 is diesel, not petrol.

But what i mean by petrol is the actual smell of it.

Let me rephase my wording better.

"But recently, while driving the car, i can smell petrol/diesel within the car, the smell isn't as strong when driving, but when the car is stationary, such as stopping for traffic light, the petrol/diesel smell become very strong, especially after the car been warming up."

I hope this will clear out the problems better.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
You probably have an oil or diesel leak that is getting onto the exhaust manifold or exhaust system. Leaks above the manifold should be pretty easy to locate. To find leaks onto the system you need to get the car up on a ramp

I don't know the underside of the C Class but would suspect an engine oil or gearbox oil leak onto the exhaust by the gearbox

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:

Silver-racer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'02 C220CDI SC + '02 SLK200K, now gone '07 CLK 220cdi + 57 A160 cdi both gone, into 09 C250 cdi w204
Diesel smell in cab

:( Hi,
I had the same problem on my C220 cdi Sport coupe, I took it to the Stealership (for a A/C problem)during the warranty time. and I had to pay for the A/C to be regassed (not covered by warranty) during this time they said a diesel return pipe was leakingand was fixed?. A couple of months later the engine was covered in Diesel, (now out of warranty) they replaced the (so called offending) return pipe free of charge,then charged me, to replace the fan belt and hoses refill the coolant system etc, as the were contaminated and cracking.(£187) about 1 month later. Still smelling and leaking diesel. this was eventually traced to the injection/Return pump on the front of the engine having a cracked housing . I had to pay for the new pump (£250 approx) but it was fitted FOC?. I am still trying to get them to refund the cost of the pump, but "They cannot find any records of any leak reported when my A/C was regassed whilst under warranty!.
So check very carefully around the pump area on the front of the engine and on the Diesel return pipes as these are hard to see, as they are hidden under the engine covers, for any leaks, as initially all I noticed was a smell in the cab, which ended up very costly.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
Diesel return pipe is an extremely cheap pipe that runs from the top of each injector back to the fuel pump/filter - returns a lot of fuel, and when split wastes a lot as well :). Costs a couple of quid and is easy to change.

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
It's also worth checking that the injectors aren't leaking. I had a similar problem on my ML-270 and after several trips to various garages, they discovered that the injector wasn't sealing properly.

Mark

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom