ABS Light staying on R107 280 SL

Karl32

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380SL
My ABS light stays one while driving. I am told its a common issue. The actual light was removed when I bought the car assuming for passing the MOT. My mechanic who is sadly retired and no longer, fixed it 2 years ago, but the problem came back. I had alternator issue last month in case that is something to do with it?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Most likely a failed wheel sensor or broken wire. If you have a blink code reader it should be straightforward to diagnose.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Does the light stay on after starting or does it come on when you start moving?

OP
K

Karl32

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380SL
Does the light stay on after starting or does it come on when you start moving?
Stays on after starting. I checked sensors they’re ok

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
You mentioned an alternator issue first... Check your OVP relay.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As above, check the ovp and fuse on that. The light should go out on starting the engine, then it checks the sensors on first reaching 6kmh.

OP
K

Karl32

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380SL
As above, check the ovp and fuse on that. The light should go out on starting the engine, then it checks the sensors on first reaching 6kmh.
would it be possible for abs related ovp to be located somewhere else other than the usual behind the kick board under steering wheel (rhd)? I am not currently able to locate it. From what I remember with other Sls it should have a red headed fuse attached to it?

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I keep forgetting which side it’s on, that is the correct relay, red top. Drop the order dash drivers side 1st.

OP
K

Karl32

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380SL
After many hours of searching, I finally managed to locate the ovp. It’s actually located at the back back of glove box right behind the battery wall. It gets a direct feed from battery. I picked up a new 10amp fuse and it solved the problem. Thanks for all your help. Next job broken aerial lol

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Knew it was one side or other. ;)

Manjit Atwal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
r107 300sL 1987
would it be possible for abs related ovp to be located somewhere else other than the usual behind the kick board under steering wheel (rhd)? I am not currently able to locate it. From what I remember with other Sls it should have a red headed fuse attached to it?
Hi Karl, what is an OVP? i have a similar problem just got the car back after service and other residual work. Was told battery needed replacing. Went to start flat battery. Re-charged it , went to start and ABs light on and then the start from cold very sluggish. Eventually jump started took it for a drive and running ok but ABS light on and battery flat again. So will replace battery but have been told by garage that the ABS light is due to cold starting and having blown a fuse in relay - common fault. Is this correct sorry for long message

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Over voltage protection relay

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
On an R107 SL it’s most likely up behind the glovebox area, silver relay, red top with a fuse in it. Jump starting or any sort of alternator fiddling can pop the fuse. ABS light is a good sign it may have popped.

Manjit Atwal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
r107 300sL 1987
On an R107 SL it’s most likely up behind the glovebox area, silver relay, red top with a fuse in it. Jump starting or any sort of alternator fiddling can pop the fuse. ABS light is a good sign it may have popped.
Thank you

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom