Adblue

Yellowduck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
Just re checking service quote and they want £52 to top up the adblue....

£22 to top up
£12 for adblue
£9 for filling hose
All plus VAT

You can buy 10 litres of adblue off of Ebay for £10/£12.......

Is it just a case of unscrewing cap next to diesel cap and pouring in....or am I missing something here?

I know they have fancy showrooms to pay for, but surely this is just taking the p*ss......

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
You may need a £5 pump from eBay to make life easier if the ad blue tank is under the car (just seen yours is by the fill cap so ignore the pump bit ) . But yes you are right you are paying for labour and the workshops/staff etc.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As Wighty says the pump is a good idea as this stuff is just horrible if it gets on you!
Otherwise yip getting it done at the dealers is very expensive !

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I'm sure this has been posted before:
http://uk.air1.info/en/adblue-supply/adblue-filling/
Put your postcode in and bob is your mothers brother

Go to a forecourt with a pump and off you go at pennies per litre.

With the AdBlue filler spout next to the diesel filler it can be filled at the same visit with combined diesel / AdBlue pumps.

As your car is relatively new, it may actually be worthwhile getting a service plan. There is a tool on the MB me site that will tell you how much per month. AdBlue and oil is included in the service plan.

MB dealers are cheaper than VW I understand, and your MB has a tank sufficient to go beyond service visits unlike VAG cars too.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ I don't believe this has been posted before- very useful indeed!
There will be more and more pumps as time goes on and it saves a load of hassle!
Agreed on the service plan too, they can work ot reasonable value
My now disposed of Audi A6 barely made 4000 miles between needing an Adblue fill (11 Litres IIRC)

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
^ I don't believe this has been posted before- very useful indeed!
There will be more and more pumps as time goes on and it saves a load of hassle!
Agreed on the service plan too, they can work ot reasonable value
My now disposed of Audi A6 barely made 4000 miles between needing an Adblue fill (11 Litres IIRC)

So, if it was 'very useful indeed!', why didn't it get a like??? :shock::shock:

Thought I had previously recounted my experience of the non AdBlue filling when I used the supplying dealer on my W221 for a service. The form was ticked, the schedule said yes; the car had none and after a trip skiing it wouldn't start due to no AdBlue. I then used that tool to find an AdBlue truck stop where I unloaded the boot, took spare wheel out, suited and booted then spent an age filling the AdBlue tank in the boot well drip at a time as the pump clicked out, smelt like I'd wet myself. Did get a pair or rear tyres as recompense ;);)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

Thought I had previously recounted my experience of the non AdBlue filling when I used the supplying dealer on my W221 for a service. The form was ticked, the schedule said yes; the car had none and after a trip skiing it wouldn't start due to no AdBlue. I then used that tool to find an AdBlue truck stop where I unloaded the boot, took spare wheel out, suited and booted then spent an age filling the AdBlue tank in the boot well drip at a time as the pump clicked out, smelt like I'd wet myself. Did get a pair or rear tyres as recompense ;);)
^Done :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

^ who said it didn't eh?? :)

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
I then used that tool to find an AdBlue truck stop where I unloaded the boot, took spare wheel out, suited and booted then spent an age filling the AdBlue tank in the boot well drip at a time as the pump clicked out, smelt like I'd wet myself. Did get a pair or rear tyres as recompense ;);)

Commercial vehicle Ad-Blue pumps work different to normal pumps. On Commercial vehicles there is a magnet located within the collar of the tank filler and this activates a valve within the filler nozzle to permit free flow of the liquid.

This is presumably to prevent any dim-wit putting Ad-Blue into a diesel tank.

For 'domestic' use, anyone would be better advised to purchase in (say) 5 Litre quantities, and then filling their tank, (according to location), with either a watering can or a small electric pump.

When Ad-Blue first started to be used, one Company I visited, had 'stacked' IBC tanks of Ad-Blue, and a [dedicated] watering can. When the upper tank was empty, they just swapped them over.:D

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Commercial vehicle Ad-Blue pumps work different to normal pumps. On Commercial vehicles there is a magnet located within the collar of the tank filler and this activates a valve within the filler nozzle to permit free flow of the liquid.

This is presumably to prevent any dim-wit putting Ad-Blue into a diesel tank.

For 'domestic' use, anyone would be better advised to purchase in (say) 5 Litre quantities, and then filling their tank, (according to location), with either a watering can or a small electric pump.

When Ad-Blue first started to be used, one Company I visited, had 'stacked' IBC tanks of Ad-Blue, and a [dedicated] watering can. When the upper tank was empty, they just swapped them over.:D

Which is probably as the pump I described, as it was a truck stop. The tool I posted advises if a truck stop or a filling station. The filling stations have AdBlue pumps that work as a fuel pump, so takes seconds to fill the AdBlue tank in a car.

The W221 AdBlue tank was 24litres, and was in the boot spare wheel well. The second filling took seconds using a filling station AdBlue pump. £12+pennies for 22litres. No need to de-cant from 5 litre bottles at many times the cost of pumped, and no leftover to carry / dispose of / store.

The W166 has the AdBlue filler next to the diesel filler and will be filled by forecourt pump if required, but should be carried out as part of the service plan.

Trains with AdBlue, when first introduced in Canada had IBC and hand pumps. Bit like aircraft in the outback in Oz with barrels of AvGas. Or like at Longreach, home of QANTAS, a bowser. Modernity arrived and holding tanks pumps are used. :shock:

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Just re checking service quote and they want £52 to top up the adblue....

£22 to top up
£12 for adblue
£9 for filling hose
All plus VAT

You can buy 10 litres of adblue off of Ebay for £10/£12.......

Is it just a case of unscrewing cap next to diesel cap and pouring in....or am I missing something here?

I know they have fancy showrooms to pay for, but surely this is just taking the p*ss......

Mine flagged up at 18k miles but wasn't covered under the service contract; it would only be covered if the car was already in for service. However, MB Grangemouth refilled my tank for £24 with no charge for labour or hoses and inclusive of VAT.

zzygy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
211/2008/2200 213/2016/220D SE
On my 213 the adblue warning light came on at 10250 miles so I filled up 2x10 litres at Morrisons, Went in for service a week later at Arnold Clark and they saw it was full but had the decency to leave a 10Ltre drum in the boot, fair play to them.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom