Advice required please ?

KenBurt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
New Sprinter MWB High Roof 2018
Hi guys

I have just brought a brand new Mercedes Sprinter. In most ways I am delighted with it however it does have one major problem which I am struggling to get a solution too and one which may be a deal breaker. As you may know the New Sprinter which has just been launched is supposed to have DAB radio installed as standard as part of the MBUX system which is present on new Mercedes cars.

Only mine hasn't...…..yep that's right it left the factory without DAB radio installed and it's taken the best part of two weeks for my dealer (who shall remain nameless at this point) to admit they knew about it. In addition of course MB knew about it too and duly told the dealers concerned (including mine). What makes it worse is that the DAB unit / module, call it what you will cannot be retrofitted leaving me with an incomplete van.

Now I've been offered a DAB adapter and a substantial refund but I really want to DAB radio to just work. I cant understand how MB could let a van go without this working, a cornerstone selling point according to their literature and if I'm honest a deal breaker for me as I listen a lot to DAB radio and am sorely missing it.

Has anyone else on here had the same experience ? If so how did you fix it ? I have discussed rejecting the van which they are not closed to as they have admitted it was their fault for selling it to me, however the only van they can supply me with that has working DAB is not as highly specked as the one I have putting me in a worse position. In addition this van isn't in their stock so I cant even see it until they get it. There are other smaller issues too, like the manuals only being in German (I don't speak German) so they are no ****** good to me. Should I just cut and run ? I don't know what to do at the moment. What should have been a pleasurable experience has now turned into a nightmare :-(((((

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
What a shame but if the lack of DAB is your driver and it rests on that, well you’ve already answered yourself - you’ll just regret putting up with it at some sooner than later point

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
If it were me, I would take the DAB adaptor and push the discount bit as hard as you can. If you did go for the other van I’m sure you would be just as unhappy because you would be missing some of the other toys you spec’d.

I would check with commandonline.co.uk to see what could be done with the existing setup, failing that you could change the head unit for aftermarket.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
As has been said push for a BIG discount and a 3 year service package

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
Only thing I would say is to first find out if the DAB is good in a new Sprinter.

The DAB in my 2014 GLA is appalling and doesnt get used.

By contrast, the DAB in my new Vivaro is brilliant

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Sometimes the adapters are better than the factory DAB.

I would push for the DAB adapter for free and some more discount on the price. Unless you want to wait for a new build.

anglaslt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LHD B63S Brabus (CL63 AMG) and RHD BMW X3 M40i
If it were me, I would take the DAB adaptor and push the discount bit as hard as you can. If you did go for the other van I’m sure you would be just as unhappy because you would be missing some of the other toys you spec’d.

I would check with commandonline.co.uk to see what could be done with the existing setup, failing that you could change the head unit for aftermarket.

I agree with @ Mark A , ask commandonline for their opinion. My Land Rover was built without sat nav even though it has the screen and nav button. LR said it cannot be retrofitted but in fact it can, and quite easily. Not sure the reason but manufacturers just don't want to get into retrofits.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I agree with @ Mark A , ask commandonline for their opinion. My Land Rover was built without sat nav even though it has the screen and nav button. LR said it cannot be retrofitted but in fact it can, and quite easily. Not sure the reason but manufacturers just don't want to get into retrofits.
That's a good point if Comandonline can update it for you, if not I'd look at rejecting it and seeing when they could replace it with the same specification as you ordered. As it's a business vehicle you might have trouble running your business whilst waiting for your new van.

The DAB in my 2016 W213 was very good, like you I spend my day listening to DAB (Radio 6 for me)

Top Bottom