Alternative jump start points on a 2003 W211, E270

irl270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI '03
Hi folks,

I thought I'd drop by and post this here in the hope it helps someone else. My own search for answers brought me through these forums time and time again but I happened to find the answer on an obscure video elsewhere after hours of searching. Apologies in advance if this is in fact covered here already

Long story short... I made the mistake of disconnecting and removing my main battery from the boot only to discover I couldn't then open the boot with the "blade" key, couldn't drop the rear seats without access to the boot and I couldn't locate any of the "jump start" contacts shown on the manuals and forums such as this

There are well hidden jump start points / remote contacts / battery terminals which can be used for jump starting this car inside and beside the fuse box located at the top left or right corner of the engine bay. They contacts are not marked in any way and weren't the easiest to spot to an untrained eye. Pop off the fuse box lid and the positive is at the front inside corner of the fuse box with a heavy red cable terminating under it. The neutral or ground point is outside the fuse-box, beside the wheel strut mount and some lightweight brown / tan wires terminate here. In my case, I connected my main battery to these points which allowed me to open the boot and insert the battery again so it seems there doesn't need to be a battery connected in the boot to jump the car. I imagine you could turn or start the engine using these points too but I was happy to just get some power flowing and get the boot popped... and no errors or gremlins on starting the car thankfully. I've attached some photos (of my filthy car!) showing the points for anyone having trouble finding them

Just to add too... the common go-to for jump starting these cars seems to be under the front passenger footwell so I removed the plate but I couldn't find a heavy live anywhere - only what looked like a ground point for some heavy and lighter neutral cables (brown / tan in colour). Images and guides I've read elsewhere mentioned a heavy black or red cable terminating under the footwell which would become the positive terminal but I simply didn't have that cable and I wasn't keen on putting positive power onto the brown cables in case they were neutrals. Similarly, beside the air filter / aux battery in the engine bay is another location that gets mentioned frequently but there were no terminals of any description at, under or near the air filter / aux battery on this model

Hope this helps. If someone could tell me where to find a more specific model number for my car, I'll edit it into the post

w211_e270_2003_1.jpg w211_e270_2003_2.jpg w211_e270_2003_3.jpg w211_e270_2003_4.jpg

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Your specific model number is the first 6 digits of your VIN.

For example my r129 is WDB129072********
Making the the specific model a 129.072

OP
I

irl270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI '03
Your specific model number is the first 6 digits of your VIN.

For example my r129 is WDB129072********
Making the the specific model a 129.072
Thanks lostkiwi,

In that case, I'm driving a W211.016. It's an Irish 03 plate E270 CDI, right-hand drive

Having done some further digging, I think the terminals are in this fuse box on the right-hand drive version of this model only as on left-hand drive, the air filter is on the right of the engine bay (where my fuse box is) and the terminals are seated beside the filter... and clearly marked by the looks of it. I guess less thought was given to their prominence during the RHD conversion. This explains the countless postings pointing to the terminals being at the air filter... they are on LHD models I guess

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
On my W210 they are on the passenger front inner arch in a black box marked with a red + on top or the live and nothing for the negative (just in front but outside the box).
1996%20Mercedes-Benz%20W210%20E280%20Engine%20Bay%201.JPG

Just found this for a W211 - does it help?
W204battery1601x901-68004.jpg

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
I believe the footwell jump point you are talking about is only on the S class or at least I have only seen it on that not on a w211.

tone792

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270D
Hi folks,

I thought I'd drop by and post this here in the hope it helps someone else. My own search for answers brought me through these forums time and time again but I happened to find the answer on an obscure video elsewhere after hours of searching. Apologies in advance if this is in fact covered here already

Long story short... I made the mistake of disconnecting and removing my main battery from the boot only to discover I couldn't then open the boot with the "blade" key, couldn't drop the rear seats without access to the boot and I couldn't locate any of the "jump start" contacts shown on the manuals and forums such as this

There are well hidden jump start points / remote contacts / battery terminals which can be used for jump starting this car inside and beside the fuse box located at the top left or right corner of the engine bay. They contacts are not marked in any way and weren't the easiest to spot to an untrained eye. Pop off the fuse box lid and the positive is at the front inside corner of the fuse box with a heavy red cable terminating under it. The neutral or ground point is outside the fuse-box, beside the wheel strut mount and some lightweight brown / tan wires terminate here. In my case, I connected my main battery to these points which allowed me to open the boot and insert the battery again so it seems there doesn't need to be a battery connected in the boot to jump the car. I imagine you could turn or start the engine using these points too but I was happy to just get some power flowing and get the boot popped... and no errors or gremlins on starting the car thankfully. I've attached some photos (of my filthy car!) showing the points for anyone having trouble finding them

Just to add too... the common go-to for jump starting these cars seems to be under the front passenger footwell so I removed the plate but I couldn't find a heavy live anywhere - only what looked like a ground point for some heavy and lighter neutral cables (brown / tan in colour). Images and guides I've read elsewhere mentioned a heavy black or red cable terminating under the footwell which would become the positive terminal but I simply didn't have that cable and I wasn't keen on putting positive power onto the brown cables in case they were neutrals. Similarly, beside the air filter / aux battery in the engine bay is another location that gets mentioned frequently but there were no terminals of any description at, under or near the air filter / aux battery on this model

Hope this helps. If someone could tell me where to find a more specific model number for my car, I'll edit it into the post

View attachment 38481 View attachment 38482 View attachment 38483 View attachment 38484

tone792

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270D
Many thanks for posting this. I was really stuck after removing my battery on my 2003 E270D and then closing the lid when a heavy rain shower started. This powered things up again no problem.......Cheers Tony

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
I locked my keys in the boot once.

I broke into the car via the top of the door and some stiff wire to pull the interior door handle.

But the canbus was still asleep so boot release button on drivers door wouldn't work.

Popped the bonnet and sent a back feed down fuse 53 for the ignition coils in the engine compartment main fuse box.

Voila! The canbus woke up and could then open the boot with the switch on the drivers door.

gab

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/2001/E240
Hi folks,

View attachment 38481 View attachment 38482 View attachment 38483 View attachment 38484
Hi! My battery is completely dead and manual key (inc. spare) does not open the trunk. I have a W211 240E LHD but unfortunately cannot seems to find the terminals so that I can open the trunk to access the battery. I've attached 3 photos- 1. driver side under bonnet near fuse (cant find positive terminal) 2. passenger side under bonnet near air filter (cant find positive terminal) 3. under the passenger seat (have no idea where to connect my jumper cables ). Hope someone can help!

Attachments

• w211-driverside-nearfuse-RHD.jpg
    w211-driverside-nearfuse-RHD.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 39
  • w211-passengerside-LHD.jpg
    w211-passengerside-LHD.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 38
  • w211-underpassengerseat-RHD.jpg
    w211-underpassengerseat-RHD.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 39

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome, get some lubricant into the keyhole in the boot and keep working the key until it releases

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Can it be done from the starter motor ?

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
Just had the same problem with my w219, disconnected the battery to charge it closed the boot lid without thinking. Key would not open the boot - doh.

Fixed it by applying 12v+ to fuse box live feed (large red cable bolted to one side of the fuse array) under the bonnet and 12v- to an earthing point - boot unlocked with the key.

Since found key does work in the boot but only one way round.

Northface

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc E240 Auto Elegance 2000
I have a Mercedes s350 2004 battery is dead and I cannot access the boot with manual key the lock of the boot is broken.
Please can someone show me pics of a positive access points under the bonnet.
Thank you

Northface

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc E240 Auto Elegance 2000
Hi folks,

Hi please can you show me via pics where they are located on my s350 2004 W220
Thanks

Top Bottom