AMG GTR / High Mileage AMGs

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Hi all,

Looking to canvas opinion and views (a dangerous thing...!)

I'm looking to buy my dream AMG GTR this year. It will be a 'weekend only' car and though I've been looking at every example on its merits, I'm wondering if I should be giving more serious consideration to some of the higher mileage GTRs on the market (i.e. those with 50-60k miles since registration in 2017). Based on reading to date, the general consensus seems to be wear and tear is more of an issue than the engines themselves but I guess I am wondering if there is anything I'm missing or shoud be considering with these vehicles more broadly beyond the miles.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts in advance!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My experience is that cars are better off being used than sat around. With high quality servicing they should do lots of miles very easily.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I wholeheartedly agree with Blobcat!
As long as the servicing has been thorough miles are just a number.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
My view is that if you are opening your wallet to that extent buy a MB approved car most come with two years AMG warranty as my E53 did when I bought it used Jan 24 they do tend to keep the best for sale with known franchise history. Front discs were 60% worn so replaced before sale and 2 new Michelins fitted so can’t fault their prep

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Agree if you are about to drop £100k on a weekend run around may as well go stealership with full history rather than save £10k elsewhere on a higher mileage...

They may also throw in a bunch of flowers ;-).

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

OP
obduro

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Really useful to hear your thoughts, thanks all

There are a couple at stealerships that I will take a look at - as you note the warranty might provide some extra peace of mind and will have half the miles. Particularly important to know the history where the car has carbon ceramic brakes too!

The examples I saw elsewhere were serviced at main dealers so hopefully able to track any major issues, but again a few bits that need negotiating on them (on one the brakes do not look great which might indicate it wasn't well looked after!)

Thanks for your help and will keep you in the loop on how I get on!

Ivanhoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1998 2.8
Mercs with the right servicing can do over a million miles i know a lad with a r107 Services it religiously and up until I last seen it had well over 500k on it merc dealers have told me of w123 cars with over a million miles on them but I think they are the Exceptions

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I used to get in a Taxi regularly in Corfu with 880k on it - still all on original engine / gearbox etc.

There were two things - regular servicing and he used to share it with his brother and the only time the engine got turned off was for filling it - so minimal cold starts....

I think cold starts and the warm up does as much harm as anything - a car used for one 600m trip weekly will probably be less worn than one doing 1m a day every day.

That's engine gearbox of course - brakes / suspension and so forth is a bit different, but town centre miles wear stuff more than motorways in general.

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
We have a lot of experience wit these and have a GTS ourselves and run a UK based AMG GT group, i would personally spend more and get a lower mileage example as with the GTR over the GT and S is the more complicated and costly systems, its never just the engine that has wear, the gearbox, drive line, front end active aero and of course the RWS system.

Just my thoughts

OP
obduro

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
We have a lot of experience wit these and have a GTS ourselves and run a UK based AMG GT group, i would personally spend more and get a lower mileage example as with the GTR over the GT and S is the more complicated and costly systems, its never just the engine that has wear, the gearbox, drive line, front end active aero and of course the RWS system.

Just my thoughts
Thanks that’s really useful (and to others who have commented)

In your experience are there any definite things to look out for with GTRs? Carbon ceramic brakes is a big one I have next to no knowledge of and also reading many stories about how ‘fun’ Cup2’s can be after some drizzle…

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Thanks that’s really useful (and to others who have commented)

In your experience are there any definite things to look out for with GTRs? Carbon ceramic brakes is a big one I have next to no knowledge of and also reading many stories about how ‘fun’ Cup2’s can be after some drizzle…
Yes CUP2s in anything bar good conditions is a handful lol

OP
obduro

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Off to see a car at MB next week. I am told the engine itself has been replaced as the previous one was misfiring so the car will come with a brand new engine - while that sounds great is there anything else I should ask them or check on?

Ceramic brakes have 10mm front / 8mm rear compared with the 12mm/10mm they come with from factory (will check pads too) and new tyres all round, but it looks like they have got it very well prepped.

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Off to see a car at MB next week. I am told the engine itself has been replaced as the previous one was misfiring so the car will come with a brand new engine - while that sounds great is there anything else I should ask them or check on?

Ceramic brakes have 10mm front / 8mm rear compared with the 12mm/10mm they come with from factory (will check pads too) and new tyres all round, but it looks like they have got it very well prepped.
Changed the engine due to misfires???

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom