atf change

stevie boy 01

Reaction score
after all the fuss about the oil in the gearbox,i done the change, it was still a lovely red colour and not a bit of dirt in the pan and the seal where the dipstick goes was still intact .. i contacted the last owner and she said it had not been changed .. its a c200 sport 77k..w202, just thought it was a waste of time...

Last edited:

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
If it was me, I'd be feeling good about not having to worry about it for another 4 years or so.

Ron

Hibbo

Reaction score
I'm trying to persuade my mate into at least changing the oil and filter in his extremely shabby 200k+ French diesel barge. He (to my incredible frustration) continues with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" routine, but this does NOT apply to service items like fluids.

It's not broke, but it will be if you don't do anything.

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
I agree totally Hibbo. The best you can do for any car is to keep the fluids fresh to do their jobs efficiently and without contamination. This means regular oil changes, coolant and brake fluid changes, and filters too. However some folk always have to learn the hard way.
Ron

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Even in the world of home domestics, someones TV goes into the safety stand by mode as it has a dry joint somewhere, they leave it until the thing blows up and have a bill 5 x higher than it would have cost to do the dry joint in the first place.

Malcolm

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I changed a 202 C180 last week at 72,000 miles. It was brown and smelled burnt as hell. You can't have done any harm by changing it.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
after all the fuss about the oil in the gearbox,i done the change, it was still a lovely red colour and not a bit of dirt in the pan and the seal where the dipstick goes was still intact .. i contacted the last owner and she said it had not been changed .. its a c200 sport 77k..w202, just thought it was a waste of time...

Looks aren't everything. I'm no chemist but I do know that oils and lubricants break down over time.

Trust me, you've done yourself a big favour, and you'll save money in the long run. Plus you have the satisfaction of knowing that no big expensive bits are about to break.

Better to have a nice bottle of wine, than a nice bottle of vinegar.

Hibbo

Reaction score
I agree totally Hibbo. The best you can do for any car is to keep the fluids fresh to do their jobs efficiently and without contamination. This means regular oil changes, coolant and brake fluid changes, and filters too. However some folk always have to learn the hard way.
Ron

Absolutely Ron. It amazes me that you see so many cars for sale with things like "150k on the clock, fully serviced to 120k" :confused:

Just because a car is old and having FSH is no longer important, is no reason to leave an engine to literally grind itself to death will old sludgy oil.

I'm not saying keep paying out for MB special £500 oil changes, but (if you can't/don't want to do it yourself) any backstreet garage will do you an oil change for the price of a tank of fuel.

I think this is the main difference between cars that go on and on and are still running great at 250k+ and those that go to the scrapyard in the sky after 150k as engine repair costs outway the value of the car.

I'm going to nick my mate's keys and change his ****** oil for him. I can't stand by and watch it happen, I hate seeing any machine mistreated! :shock:

Last edited:
OP
stevie boy 01

stevie boy 01

Reaction score
well ok then not a waste of time .. cos i am now going to change diff oil.. brake fluid .. and the oil in the rack...iam in one of them moods...

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom