Auction Results - MB UK Ltd - 15/9/17

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 09/09 (2010 my M273 Engine) Now completed 40K Palladium/Black
I attended a MB auction last Friday, 192 cars for sale direct from MB Uk main dealers.

I have set out below a sample of bids on vehicles I took an interest in, Grade 1 are in showroom condition.

Grade 2 are also very good and you have to look for faults, other grades do vary but usually due to small scratches and cosmetic items. Nothing a good valet would not put right.

I attend quite a few auctions and it does not mean the exact same vehicle would fetch the same price next week. They could vary by as much as 5 - 10% depending on the MB-Uk representative
making last minute decisions to accept or decline the bid price if lower than anticipated.

See what you think! - Do any of them look good value ?????

Houseboss2

20170918_145310.jpg

Attachments

• 20170918_144215.jpg
    20170918_144215.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 23

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
id say slightly cheaper than dealer forecourts but you can probably match or better the prices at non MB dealership forecourts. £22k for a 3 year old c class seems, to me at least, pretty much top dollar (depending on options fitted)

I think autotrader is expensive for cars but a quick search brought up these (and others) which are the same money or less, same mileage or less and same age or newer.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ke=MERCEDES-BENZ&maximum-mileage=25000&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ke=MERCEDES-BENZ&maximum-mileage=25000&page=1

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The price the auctioneer took off the wall or sold price ?

OP
H

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The price the auctioneer took off the wall or sold price ?

These were hammer sold prices, there were some provisonal as well as not sold in additon to these.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Don't forget the buyers fees...

The E350 Cab looks cheap though!

OP
H

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't forget the buyers fees...

The E350 Cab looks cheap though!

The buyers fees are shown on the right and average £500 plus.

These are in addition to the bid.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Interesting
I noted the CL500 4.7 2014 36K miles went very cheaply at £23,000.
Maybe it was the relatively high annual mileage, or poor grade 4 Condition. But seen a few 2012-2014 go relatively cheaply in comparison to the 5.5L versions

I do have my eye out for a very low mileage ( sub 5,000 miles per annum) CL63, but it seems the CL500 4.7s seem to go for less money (relatively) than the CL500 5.5L version, which seems strange in this echo bent world especially as they are quicker with better mpg??

Or it could be that once you get older than 2010/2011 they depreciate relatively slowly.

But I could be tempted to be more economical and look at a CL500 4.7 circa 2012 to 2014 at those kind of prices.

Do you know when these 2 changes came out?
1. The LED DRLs
2. The change from the 5.5L to the 4.7L engine.

Did they both come in the 2011 facelift?
Or did the LED lights come in the 2010 semi facelift and the 4.7L in the full 2011 facelift.

If I remember correctly yours had the nice LED DRLs and I thought the 5.5L engine?

Still think you got a hell of a deal at £24,000 with 26K on the clock. ( especially as it is a trully peachy example ... OK not seen it in the flesh ... but from the pics ... its definitely the 2nd best I have seen. And the best was a total freak 2010 14,000 miles kept in a dehumidified garage with a car cover on it ... more a collectors item than a car! That one actually drives lol.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Nothing outstanding I'd say
Worth remembering if you buy an AMG from an MB dealership you'll get 2 years Tier 1 as well, which is worth 2k+. I factored this when I bought my 63 non dealer, just extended my Tier 1 on that for £1006 with a £250 excess from MB

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Nothing outstanding I'd say
Worth remembering if you buy an AMG from an MB dealership you'll get 2 years Tier 1 as well, which is worth 2k+. I factored this when I bought my 63 non dealer, just extended my Tier 1 on that for £1006 with a £250 excess from MB

Thats a good price for teir one. The last time I did an SL500 ... not an AMG was in 2009 and I think that was £1126. But Imdidnt think it had an excess on it or was it £50???

Yes I factored in the 2 year warranty, when I casually started looking for a CL63.
If one pays £5,000 more for an AMG but gets 2 years warranty. IMO thats got to be worth a minumum of £3,000; as I doubt one would get away with less than £1500 repairs a year!
So the AMG effectively costs you £2000 more :):)
Hmm am I selling myself the concept of an AMG Lol or is this logic solid? :):):)

And I dont factor in petrol .. with such low mileage, the fun factor negates that for sure. ;);)

OP
H

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I noted the CL500 4.7 2014 36K miles went very cheaply at £23,000.
Maybe it was the relatively high annual mileage, or poor grade 4 Condition.

Do you know when these 2 changes came out?
1. The LED DRLs
2. The change from the 5.5L to the 4.7L engine.

Did they both come in the 2011 facelift?
Or did the LED lights come in the 2010 semi facelift and the 4.7L in the full 2011 facelift.

Worth remembering if you buy an AMG from an MB dealership you'll get 2 years Tier 1

Hello Peter

The LED lights came in with the bonnet changes and new 4.7 litre engine , but with retention of the existing interior, apart from slightly different steering wheel button design, and other very minor changes. This took effect from late 2010 and carried on until 2014.

I actually prefer the retro look of round DRL's as they look far better quality than the plastic lens horizontal LED "Imo". I appreciate you have installed a similar style of light on yours which to be fair, look OK.

The grade 4 version sold at the auction looked well worn and was clearly not looked after. I have just checked the catalogue and it was last serviced on 17/3/2015 16,788 miles !!!!! I would not have touched it.

These occasions also mean you can occupy the latest S Class coupe model. How disappointing, the body shape just looks like most other models and there is a massive difference in glass area from the driving position, it's like looking through a letter box, with a huge expanse of dash between the windscreen. My main criteria when looking at a car is "does it look good" "is the interior a nice place to be" other things i will compromise on. The new screens look good but I do not like the arrangement of the air vents which dominate the front. I assume they are attempting to copy Bentley but it just looks cluttered to me.

Hello John

My understanding is the Mercedes Approved are given 12 month Tier 1 warranty, do AMG cars have a special arrangement?

Michael

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hello Peter

The LED lights came in with the bonnet changes and new 4.7 litre engine , but with retention of the existing interior, apart from slightly different steering wheel button design, and other very minor changes. This took effect from late 2010 and carried on until 2014.

I actually prefer the retro look of round DRL's as they look far better quality than the plastic lens horizontal LED "Imo". I appreciate you have installed a similar style of light on yours which to be fair, look OK.

The grade 4 version sold at the auction looked well worn and was clearly not looked after. I have just checked the catalogue and it was last serviced on 17/3/2015 16,788 miles !!!!! I would not have touched it.

These occasions also mean you can occupy the latest S Class coupe model. How disappointing, the body shape just looks like most other models and there is a massive difference in glass area from the driving position, it's like looking through a letter box, with a huge expanse of dash between the windscreen. My main criteria when looking at a car is "does it look good" "is the interior a nice place to be" other things i will compromise on. The new screens look good but I do not like the arrangement of the air vents which dominate the front. I assume they are attempting to copy Bentley but it just looks cluttered to me.

Hello John

My understanding is the Mercedes Approved are given 12 month Tier 1 warranty, do AMG cars have a special arrangement?

Michael
Michael, yes - last time I checked on AMG under 3 years old they extend / add up to 2 years

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Hello Peter

Hello John

Michael

Hi Micheal
Thanks for the info
Wow 16,800 to 36,000 without a service! Definitely not one for me.
.... 20,000 mile service interval :(:(:(
Crazy to neglect a £90K 3 year old car and not pay £300-£400 for a service. Or at worst at least change the oil and filter .... mind boggling lack of logic.
Definitely unloved.

Thanks for the info on the LEDs and engine.
So basically its the my 2011 and you get both.
I only put these DRLs on to save usage of the Dipped Zenons (which are its DRLs )
Personally I would have prefferred them to have gone with round Leds for the DRLs, and that was my only quest i.e. for the factory LEDs to look standard.

I am sort of happy with my horizontal DRLs only because they fullfill a funtion, but generally I really don't like non std.
But they are at least very bright, and save the potential bill of new Xenons, serious amount of work to change them!

I agree with you on the big air ducts on the new S Class Coupe, look like a C or E class ... all very sameo sameo!
And I do prefer the 5.5 L to the 4.6L engine ... it was actually the main reason for looking at a CL63. 5.5 L
I gave up trying the find the ideal 6.2L V8 CL63, that had the factory from new fix for the headbolt issue. There was only a 6 month window from late 2010 to 2011 where one could get these.
Personally I dont need the extra bhp, as mine rarely goes over 4,500 rpm (I do deliberately clip 5,000 rpm for a few seconds, occasionally just to blow out the cobwebs)
A bit embarrassed to say, but she lives mainly under 3,000 rpm. Even if you try to use it around here ... small villages ... somewhat over populated minor roads; it seems like seconds before you have to back off the right foot due to traffic.

I did go to BCA a few times, but buying there is not for me ... its like a loto!
And anything half decent seemed to go for retail money .... but without a warranty. :(:(
And lets say the traders I spoke to there were very negative about BCAs returns policy.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom