audio 20 iPod connection to CDC input ?

IH911

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E220 cdi / 1998 230 slk /1981 280 sl
hi i have recently upgraded from an old S210 to a 2007 E220 (S211) it has a single disc audio 20 head unit with the bluetooth phone thing in the arm rest and has a button on it marked CDC which i believe is for a 6 disc changer but in my car there is no changer fitted and there is only a storage compartment where it would be, i am assuming that behind this compartment there will be a lead to connect a 6 disc unit. i do not want to add a cd changer but would like to be able to use my iPod does anyone know if there is a lead available to connect an iPod to the cdc input i don't mind controlling the track selection from the iPod it self so i am not looking for full integration in to the audio system just the ability to play music from an iPod, i did try asking Dension but they just want to try and sell me their gateway 500 system with is so expensive i might as well install a different head unit which i don't really want to do as i already have phone connectivity and am not bothered about satnav as i have found that in car systems are often more trouble than they are worth and am happy to stick with my old tom-tom for the rare occasions when i don't know where i am going. i have had a look at other threads regarding iPod connection for the W211 but have not seen anything relating to using the cdc input if there is anyone out there who has tried this please let me know if this can be done and where a suitable lead can be bought from,

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
cdc is on a MOST fibre loop, is it a comand system (have u got nav)? on fleabay are some "budget" devices where u swap out the cdc and get BT music streaming and a USB input (no idea if any good but its 300 quid less than dension to do the same thing)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth...505253?hash=item1c7ebe9be5:g:gj8AAOSws5pZLtbb

s-l1600.jpg

OP
I

IH911

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks for your reply i had not realised that it is an optical conection between the changer and the head unit. the link you sent to the bluetooth device on eBay is interesting and as you say it seems to do all that the dension unit does so it may be an option but as my car has never had a cd changer fitted they say in the listing that i may have to go to MB to get my head unit cdc function enabled which involves plugging it in to their computer so that will doubtlessly come at a price. interestingly while looking on youtube for details of how to remove the head unit i came across a video that shows you how to wire a 3.5mm jack lead directly in to the head unit, looks like a straight forward job with only 3 connections to solder on to the pcb you then put a blank disc in the cd slot and plug your iPod into the jack plug and the head unit thinks its playing a cd but is really receiving its input from the jack lead and when there is nothing connected to the jack lead it still works as normal with a cd and best of all it only costs the price of a jack lead so less than £10 also a 3.5 jack lead is very easy to conceal and route to the glove box or any other of the compartments. the reply from Botus answers the question i that i originally asked and i hope the info about the jack lead option is of help to others.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
15 mins work to turn on or off.... £30 cash at a decent indie should cover it.
does it have aux come up as an option, otherwise it will need turning this on anyway?

OP
I

IH911

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
no my head unit has not got an AUX input or navigation so it must be the very bottom of the range model, the more i think about it the more i am considering the soldered in jack plug lead as it will give me what i want at minimal cost with out adding another bluetooth system that i do not need and having watched the video of how its done i feel confident that i can do the work myself,
when i have the time to do the work i will post a message and review the results

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
I think it is a bit more involved than this if the car has the Optical side of things then it is in the form of a "ring main", which I understand to mean that the ring has to be broken then the Changer plugged in (and in the right place in that ring)
Though I seem to remember that the lower end hifi only had a fibre link between the changer and head unit.
You would be better off fitting an aftermarket Android head unit and get far more functionality IMO, or maybe contact COMMAND and see what they can suggest on your existing head unit.

OP
I

IH911

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the wired in jack connection that i have seen demonstrated on you tube connects the analog sound signal from an iPod or any other device with a 3.5 mm jack socket directly in to the pcb of the head unit and does not break in to or connect to the optical side of the system and as my car is not fitted with a cd changer there is nothing optical to interfere with anyway, i know its a very cheap solution but it will allow me to listen to my iPod which is all i am wanting to do and as my car already has the MB bluetooth phone thing in the arm rest i don't see the point in changing the head unit at the moment, i guess that these android aftermarket head units are cheaper that a new command head unit from MB but there seems to be plenty of secondhand MB ones on eBay if i wanted to go for a complete upgrade to my system but it still seems like a lot of money to get extra features that i don't need and probably would not use

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom