Auto box oil level

Royville

Reaction score
I did a few basic checks on my beloved 1996 c180 (Eng No. 111.920 - Trans No. 722.421) today, and was quite alarmed when the ATF level appeared to be way above the normal level on the dipstick (please see photos).
I say 'appeared' because I am not sure where the level should actually be. In the photo my level is at the 8cm point on the tape measure - where should it be and will I need to take some ATF out? The car was cold as it had stud for two days.
Roy

Attachments

• one.JPG
    one.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 45
  • two.JPG
    two.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 34
  • three.JPG
    three.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 31

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
The level is best checked with the engine and transmission both at normal running temp (80 degrees'ish) ....Car on level ground, the engine at idle rpm and 'P' selected.

The level should be read off the upper 80 degree (temperature) range on the dipstick and be approx between the two marks.

tom7035

Reaction score
As panason1c says.
Your level WILL read very high on the dipstick when cold and after standing a while. The ATF has to be hot and circulating throughout the gearbox valve chest, pipework, torque converter etc. when it is checked, hence the running engine, but be careful NOT to overfill.
It should also be very clean and a pinkish colour.

Last edited:
OP
R

Royville

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll re-check tonight. It was a red/pink colour.
Roy.

matrix

Reaction score
to be measured when in R

panason1c said:
The level is best checked with the engine and transmission both at normal running temp (80 degrees'ish) ....Car on level ground, the engine at idle rpm and 'P' selected.

The level should be read off the upper 80 degree (temperature) range on the dipstick and be approx between the two marks.

I dont agree... The oil level is best checked at normal temp, level ground but R selected and brake pressed...

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
matrix said:
I dont agree... The oil level is best checked at normal temp, level ground but R selected and brake pressed...

Never heard that one before!...........might be worth re-reading your manual.

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
matrix said:

I agree with panasonic on this, where did you get that information ?.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
the handbook on my SL

says normal operating temperature, handbrake on, engine running, move the selector through all the gears, pausing in each momentarily, then back up to park, from whence you do the dip-test. My 124 only differs slightly from this procedure.
Oil level to be between the two marks, and if your oil is clean and good, it's really tricky to see.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
When we changed the ATF on mine, we ran the gearbox through every gear for about 2 minutes, with the parking brake on, to get the fluid through the box.

I've always been told that you run the car up to operating temperature (by driving it - or else the gearbox won't get warm enough) and dip it with the engine running in P.

tom7035

Reaction score
matrix said:
NEVER, EVER check autobox oil in any gear! Highly dangerous practice quite apart from being wrong. Besides it doubles the manpower requred to do a simple task.

OP
R

Royville

Reaction score
Engine hot, running, gear lever in P, & car level

Hi,

Just thought i'd let you know I checked my ATF level tonight after returning home from work, and it was more or less spot on where it should be. The engine temp was just under the 100 deg C mark, - it was a very hot day here in Staffs so I thought I'd check my fan coupling too and it felt very fluid (free to rotate with the engine stopped) - just the same as when the engine is cold really!

So am I correct in assuming it to need replacement?

Roy.

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Viscous coupling.

Roy,
It is difficult to assess a stationary viscous coupling as it relies on the centrifugal force from rotation to pump the oil between the internal chambers and lock the coupling. At 100c engine temp your fan should have been rotating fast enough to create a strong backdraught and a roaring noise when the engine was revved. If not the coupling probably needs replaced.
See here for explanation of the coupling operation;http://mb.braingears.com/124_DISC1/Program/Engine/602_603/20-310.pdf.
Geo.

Last edited:

mouldb

Reaction score
Hi,
I have Just been through the procedure of topping up/Filling the gearbox oil on my S320 CDI at my local mercedes stealership, and it is mercedes practice to warm the engine up first & put in park with engine running, & top it up.

Hope this helps,

tom7035

Reaction score
mouldb said:
Hi,
I have Just been through the procedure of topping up/Filling the gearbox oil on my S320 CDI at my local mercedes stealership, and it is mercedes practice to warm the engine up first & put in park with engine running, & top it up.

Hope this helps,
This is standard practice with all automatics.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom