Auto headlamp and auto wiper problems.

bearingman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 350 CDi
Hello all. I have a fairly new W164 ML 350 CDi. It has auto lights and auto wipers.

Lights: Come on regardless of the switch position (i.e. OFF and AUTO seem to be the same thing). Also too sensitive in my opinion.

Wipers: Far too sensitive. If on slow intermittent, even the tiniest amount of rain prompts them to go to continuous high speed - to paraphrase Michael Winner's slogan "Calm down - it's only a shower". You have to rturn them off and back on again to get intermittent function back.

Is there any way of disabling these features so that I can, as driver, control the lighting and windscreen wiper functions ?

Note: I have the daytime running lights turned on (if that has any bearing on the matter).

Any advice welcome. Thank you in advance.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
There's also a constant on mode for headlamps. Check that is set off.

Regarding the auto wipers make sure the windscreen is scrupulously clean on and around the sensor. Sometimes the wipers can go into hyperdrive but sort themselves out. It's almost like a learning phase, the control module needs to see how quickly the rain covers the sensor again.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Re the wipers, if they continue to do this after the sensor area in the glass has been cleaned they may need to be reset on STAR,,, funny thing is 140 system is always perfect but my CL can do what yours is doing, I have just re set mine but not had a chance to try it.

Go to the menu in the cluster to turn the running lights off.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
When the auto wipers on my R Class would only operate in OFF mode & MONSOON mode, it was due to the sensor having come away from the screen. Mine is behind the trim under the rear view mirror .... assume yours is the same .... it just needed clipping back on again properly (aided by a tiny lump of bluetak :rolleyes:)

steveamgc32

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C32 2002
Had the wiper problem with my C32 was driving me mad way to sensitive plugged my Star in said the sensor was faulty. If you disconnect the sensor by the interior mirror the wipers will go to 3 sec intermittent wipe on the first turn of the wiper switch.

OP
B

bearingman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 350 CDi
STAR?

Thanks for all teh comments,... what is a STAR? Some form of computer plug in device?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Star us the Mercedes diagnostic tester. the auto wipers can be reset with all values shown.. As said in fault conditions they can revert back to intermittent wipe

OP
B

bearingman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 350 CDi
Update.

OK. Turning OFF the daytime running lights has allowed me to regain control of the headlights. Surely this is a program fault so I will ask the dealer next time it goes in for service.

No change on the wipers.. I';ll check that sensor on the windshield. Thanks for the advice all.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom