Autobox poss stuck in W mode

holbay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Cdi estate. 2004
Hi guys i have just bought my first Mercedes at the ripe age of 54 (me that is ). I got a E300TD 1998 with 120000 Miles on her i call it her because the wife has named her Christine due to me falling in love with her just like the guy in the movie. Anyway i put my mates autoland diagnostic unit on the car and all seemed well until i got to the autobox settings the diag showed the box in winter mode when the switch was in standard position moving switch made no difference to the diag display but the gear lever selections do show up. So is the box stuck in winter mode if so what can be causing this prob. Also if i put gear lever in first and use like a manual all is ok all gears select ok. Thanks for any help. George.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, yes this is a known thing and the switch can be fixed.

Can you do a search here for this, member dieselman has put up the info on fixing this

OP
holbay

holbay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Cdi estate. 2004
Thankyou Malcolm and also to Dieselman for the instructions and piccies i will get on with this tomorrow at work (all me tools are there). Also my car has electric folding mirrors but only the nearside one is folding i assume the drivers one is also meant to fold. Thanks George..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You will probably have a broken wire in the mirror and there is a DIY article that would help. just ask when you are ready

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Just in case the diag machine is wrong. When sitting at idle with the car in W, you will feel the box change down to first if you switch to S mode. If not, then yes the switch is the problem and an easy fix.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom