AUTOBOX PROBLEM

mobi

Reaction score
I recently changed the oil and filter in my 1998 c200 petrol merc auto gearbox.
I did this because the mileage was 100,000 miles and it very occasionally stuck in first gear after it had gone from park to drive with quite a hefty bang jerking the car, this might happen just once in a few weeks of driving and you can run it up to the red line without it changing,have also tried moving the selector over to manual and changing down to no effect, it will then change gear as if nothing had happened.
After the oil change it seemed to have cured it but today, after about 300 miles since the oil change it played up again, pulled away from standstill and holding in first gear up to the redline for a few seconds then changing gear as normal for the rest of the journey ,has anybody got any ideas, could I try an additive in the box oil.?:confused:

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
gear box

Hi normaly very good gearbox , needs to go on starsounds likespeed sensor possibly playing up.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do clean the contacts on the box ECU with a non drying switch cleaner (Maplins) There were loads of problems during these years with the CAN connections making poor contact, the end 2 pins.

Its worth a go :D:D

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Did you also drain the flywheel/torque converter?

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
auto box probs

as television electrical not mechanical there is tempreture sensor that holds on to lower gears to warm up the Cat perhaps thats gone up the wall! there are threads on here about 722.6 box that may help, the early box is a bit fragile if abused, later box tip shift late 1999/2000 on, very good.

OP
M

mobi

Reaction score
Yes I did drain the torque converter, (it holds a hell of a lot of oil,don't it) but as it happens so infrequently I don't think it could be a temp sensor, but I could be wrong, I'll try cleaning the contacts next, thanks all.

OP
M

mobi

Reaction score
Box ECU

Can anyone tell me where to find the auto box ecu as I want to clean the connections also the position of the speed sensor and auto box temp sensor, the auto-data book is useless as far as this is concerned.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will try and find it, either on the bulk head in engine or under the dash

OP
M

mobi

Reaction score
Have found the control unit for the autobox, it's in the front passenger footwell under the carpet ,bolted to the back of a metal plate, which is held in place with three 10mm plastic nuts .pulled out both connectors from their blocks and found some corrosion on the pins which I cleaned off.

Thinking back , about a year ago while driving around a right-hand bend in heavy rain I heard a sort of water sploshing sound followed by a squeal from my wife sitting in the front passenger as a large quantity of water poured over her feet,(not a pretty sight !)
It transpired that the scuttle area had a blocked drain hole and when I cornered right the water flowed left,poured over the lip round the air inlet for the heater, poured through the heater over the wifes feet and seriously soaked the carpet which I had to remove and found the underneath of the carpet is bonded to shaped foam rubber blocks to raise the carpet to allow flat plastic air trunking to feed air to the rear passengers feet. This was absolutely soaked through right into the foam rubber. it took weeks to dry out properly before refitting it to the car, so I guess that's where the corrosion started. It drives like a dream at the moment so I hope that's it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for posting back on this,,,and I do hope its a permanent fix, it should be.

Big problem is with CAN signals they carry no current at all, so they cannot arc themselves better

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom