Automatic Box Gears Sliping/gurking

MAAB

Reaction score
I Have experienced a little bit more then usual gerks while gears changes and also I had this mishap when the gear was in lower rear, and it continue for some time. I start/stop the car- then it became normal again. I 'm bit worry. Please advise. It is 2001 220 cdi, 183K.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Do you know how long it's been since the gearbox oil and filter were changed ? When I changed mine, following some of your problems, the gearchange improved dramatically. Various opinions indicate that the oil and filter should be changed between 50 and 70 thousand miles.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Get the fault codes read and the level checked by someone who no's these boxes, cheapest way to start!!

OP
M

MAAB

Reaction score
gears sliping/gurking

Do you know how long it's been since the gearbox oil and filter were changed ? When I changed mine, following some of your problems, the gearchange improved dramatically. Various opinions indicate that the oil and filter should be changed between 50 and 70 thousand miles.

Dear nickcc101. MB does not indicate for gear box oil/filter change in the book!. Secondly - if there are any sensors required to be replaced. Any comments please. MAAB

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
Dear nickcc101. MB does not indicate for gear box oil/filter change in the book!

There has been considerable discussion on the various MB forums about this and the combined wisdom is to change the ATF and filter at regular intervals. It has also been reported that MB issued a bullitin that does recommend ATF changes. I'm sure if you do a little search yo will find plenty of info on this.

if there are any sensors required to be replaced. Any comments please. MAAB

There are a number of sensors that form part of the conductor plate - as said above you will need to get the codes read to give a clue to any possible sensor faults.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dear nickcc101. MB does not indicate for gear box oil/filter change in the book!. Secondly - if there are any sensors required to be replaced. Any comments please. MAAB

As AMck. If you want to get the fault codes read before changing oil etc you will have to go to a MB dealer or MB independent as MB's Star diagnostics computer reads the gearbox fault codes. I paid £35 to my local indie to have the fault codes read and cleared when I tried jump starting my W203.

OP
M

MAAB

Reaction score
Thanks nickcc101. Are you saying it's worth going for diagnostic computer check before any further action?. Please tell. MAAB

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it were me and my car had done the mileage that your car has then I would change the gearbox oil and filter even if the car were driving perfectly. There are plenty of posts relating to gearbox faults and the advisability of gearbox oil and filter changes at around 70,000 miles. As I said in my first reply, I changed the oil and filter and have had no problems for the last couple of years, and no I didn't get the fault codes read. Hope this answer helps you, of course this is only my opinion based on past experience.

E

eliot

Hi, am new to this site but joined because I am in love with my 2000 270 CDi. It has 110k on the clock and I am amazed at how smooth it runs. Unfortunately, I too have started having slippage in the automatic gear box, changing down instead of up and getting stuck in the lower gears, etc. From what I have read in all the above posts (and you've all been extremely helpful) I need to change the oil and filter before freaking out and spending a fortune at MB. Although the car dealer I bought beloved beauty from said that the car has full MB history and had recently been serviced there is no mention of a gear box service. I'm quite a dab hand with cars but have nere worked on a merc before. Can you give me some advice please???

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom