Automatic Gearbox Bellhousing

DamandaC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 200 Kompressor 2001
Hello, I'm new to the Forum and I live in the Republic of Ireland, and have owned my SLK R170,
200 Kompressor 2001, for 12 years. I only use it for the summer and it's garaged the rest of the year. However, last summer there was some rust spots on the bonnet etc, that needed to be sprayed and matched so I left it with a sprayer, in Dublin 150 miles away, who I knew to be good, for a couple of weeks and got it back....all good...until.this month when my husband who maintains my "baby" was under the car and noticed that the gearbox bell housing had pieces smashed off! He reckons that someone drove it fast maybe over speed ramps, or up on a kerb. My question is: is the bellhousing a part which can be replaced separately or am I going to have to replace the complete Automatic gearbox? I have an NCT (Irish MOT) in 10 days and don't know whether it will pass?? Would appreciate anyone who can tell me and also where I might be able to source a bell housing, is it can be attached separately? Many thanks.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Hello and welcome
I believe the bell housing can be replaced, however finding a used bell housing might be hard to find. Most breakers will only sell the box complete.
It is very unusal for the bell housing to have been broken, possibly it was jacked up under the bell housing causing these pleices to be broken?
Have you any pictures of the damage?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Welcome to the forum:D
What a pity whoever was responsible for the damage never owned up to it. Bad form.

I think you are going to be very fortunate to find another torque convertor housing (they are separate from the main gearbox), let alone a full gearbox in good order for your SLK.
If you have any Mercedes breakers in the Republic, maybe they can help but its a long shot.
There are a couple of breakers here in the UK that may ship to you if they have one.

What you need is to check first of all the correct code for your gearbox. Its a set of numbers that you can find on the datacard.
Put your full Vin# into this decoder, and look for the transmission code. I think it should read 722.616.

If that is the correct code, then search only for that gearbox. You will have problems trying to fit one with a different code.
This is the Part# for the torque convertor housing (assuming the correct gearbox code) that is separate from the main gearbox. Brand new it costs around £450

A 20 327 107 01

OP
D

DamandaC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Welcome to the forum:D
What a pity whoever was responsible for the damage never owned up to it. Bad form.

I think you are going to be very fortunate to find another torque convertor housing (they are separate from the main gearbox), let alone a full gearbox in good order for your SLK.
If you have any Mercedes breakers in the Republic, maybe they can help but its a long shot.
There are a couple of breakers here in the UK that may ship to you if they have one.

What you need is to check first of all the correct code for your gearbox. Its a set of numbers that you can find on the datacard.
Put your full Vin# into this decoder, and look for the transmission code. I think it should read 722.616.

If that is the correct code, then search only for that gearbox. You will have problems trying to fit one with a different code.
This is the Part# for the torque convertor housing (assuming the correct gearbox code) that is separate from the main gearbox. Brand new it costs around £450

A 20 327 107 01
Thank you very much for your very comprehensive reply, I always look to the forums when I have a problem with any car, and they have been invaluable on other matters. I will follow up on your advice and look.

OP
D

DamandaC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome
I believe the bell housing can be replaced, however finding a used bell housing might be hard to find. Most breakers will only sell the box complete.
It is very unusal for the bell housing to have been broken, possibly it was jacked up under the bell housing causing these pleices to be broken?
Have you any pictures of the damage?
Thank you for your reply, perhaps it did happen that way, but I have no idea, it just seemed plausible that it was driven at speed and maybe was damaged by a speed ramp, as there are a lot in the vicinity of where the sprayer I left it operates. My husband took a picture with his camera so I could see the damage,v as I have a bad back and can't manouvere under cars any more!! I try to see if I can download and post.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
It would be interesting to see the damage :)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom