Automatic Gearbox Memory

ivegotcclass

Reaction score
If the MB Auto gearbox has a memory of your driving style and will adjust itself to this, can someone answer the following:

If I like to change gear at 2,500RPM and the auto box normally likes to hold out until at least 3,000 or 4,000, if I use Tiptronic to change up at 2,500RPM for a few minutes, will the gearbox learn that this is when to change?

The example above is only hypotetical, I've had my car for a few months now and I'm keen to learn more of the precise technical ability now I"ve learned how to work the nice toys.

:)

guydewdney

Reaction score
Website
www.atct.co.uk
um - just drive it... it wll adapt within a few minutes of your driving style.

i have an earlier 'smart' gearbox - and if I hoooof it down a road, it acts all sprightly for a few minutes, until it chills out again...

OP
ivegotcclass

ivegotcclass

Reaction score
guydewdney said:
it acts all sprightly for a few minutes, until it chills out again...

That is what I'm finding and I really like it. The questio is then back to whether using Tiptronic effect the gearboxes memory?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
ivegotcclass said:
That is what I'm finding and I really like it. The questio is then back to whether using Tiptronic effect the gearboxes memory?

No effect at all, the gearbox ECU is linked to the gear box ECU and it is a very short memory as such just as Guydewdney says.
You can be winding the car up say on a duel carrageway and hit a 30 MPH limit, and the car will be as docile as you want it to be.

Malcolm

piestore

Reaction score
722.6 adaptation

hi

when they talk about this gearbox adapting it is more to do with compensating for wear and manufacturing tolerances although the driving style does have some effect on the shift pattern.

OP
ivegotcclass

ivegotcclass

Reaction score
I've been looking at it closely over the last few days and I've now noticed that it has a short memory.

It is good technology though.

:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
piestore said:
hi

when they talk about this gearbox adapting it is more to do with compensating for wear and manufacturing tolerances although the driving style does have some effect on the shift pattern.

Its only your driving style as you found out, auto gearboxes on average run to 150k many go much further, don't really get wear as such problems, when a piece fails its often quite quick,ie; missing gears, slipping to no drive.

Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is good technology though.

:)[/QUOTE]

we do take a lot for granted these days, on modern boxes you hardly notice a shift has taken place, How many clutches would you get through to reach 150k ?

Malcolm

piestore

Reaction score
722.6 box

Hi Television

When these boxes are built each clutch pack has a set clearance of 1.2 mm approx. the approx part can equate to + 4 to +5 cycles in adaptation data as the clutch pack wears ( as we all know they do ) the adaptation data cycle compensation increases up to a max of 15 if the adaptation data cycle figure is above 10 then repair work is required. As for 150K I am sure there are plenty of members who have suffered a very light wallet at much lower mileage that that

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
. As for 150K I am sure there are plenty of members who have suffered a very light wallet at much lower mileage that that[/QUOTE]

there are thousands of old mercs running around in eccess of 150 k, the avarage cost of a box is £1200 - £1500 sinse that figure is much more than the cars are worth, shows the point.

Most of the people who come to this site has a problem. if you add all of the post together with gearbox problems over the last two years, the total is less than the old MB's running around in my town alone.

Malcolm

Top Bottom