Automatic going backward on slope up

glacier

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k sport 2005 automatic
Hello guys, I was driving my car the other day and when I've reach the top of the hill I've stopped. When I've released the break, the car just started going back (the lever was on drive). The revs are about 600(on drive) and when the car start going back, the revs decrease to 400 and the engine goes off. If I press the accelerator to increase the revs to 800 the car hold on place.
I will attach a video that shows what the car is doing exactly. I spoke with many friends who ensure me that there is a problem. The engineer of Mercedes said that this is normal and there is no problem, he said also that on the newer models there is a system which control that, but not on mine. Could you please help. Do you think that is normal. That is happening on a slopes over 10%.
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lmiBNAbtj0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Its normal to have an amount of reverse roll when in Drive, but if you switch to Winter mode it will hold on an incline. Whats not normal is that your car is dropping to 400 rpm and cutting out.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
With the 5g 722.6 box the car will not roll back in the W or C mode, it will roll back in the S mode.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Hello guys, I was driving my car the other day and when I've reach the top of the hill I've stopped. When I've released the brake, the car just started going back (the lever was on drive). The revs are about 600(on drive) and when the car start going back, the revs decrease to 400 and the engine goes off. If I press the accelerator to increase the revs to 800 the car hold on place.
I will attach a video that shows what the car is doing exactly. I spoke with many friends who ensure me that there is a problem. The engineer of Mercedes said that this is normal and there is no problem, he said also that on the newer models there is a system which control that, but not on mine. Could you please help. Do you think that is normal. That is happening on a slopes over 10%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lmiBNAbtj0

I'm not surprised that an older auto rolls back on a hill - that's what your left foot is for ;) .... I wouldn't expect it to stall though

Last edited:
OP
G

glacier

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k sport 2005 automatic
With the 5g 722.6 box the car will not roll back in the W or C mode, it will roll back in the S mode.
I've tried and yes when the car is on mode C it stays AMAZING
:grin: Thank you, but do you thing that on mode S to roll back is normal? Should I go and make a diagnostic?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Roll back in 'S' mode is normal...

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom