Automatic Transmission Oil Check or Change

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just thinking about this,just pulling the plug from the crankshaft sensor would be perfect, and applies to all engines

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
One danger is, without oil in the convertor, the blades in the fylwheel could shatter if you actually ran the engine without oll in there. Dont make this mistake !

Something that does bother me is, my sump gasket seaps, not a lot, but not 100% sealed. I am sure I was surgical in refitting. I think I torqued the bolts at at 20Nm, cannot remember.

16 NM to be correct Sir:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats a major job on its own TV on a V6. getting your hand down there.

I pulled 3 leads off. 1, 2 and 3. And it almost started !

Yes fair comment on some engines,,any other idea's of stopping them from starting

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Taking the fuse out for the fuel pump isn't a bad way.

However, I'm not sure that cranking will empty the torque convertor by any meaningful amount - the front pump can't pump air.

Although I'm lucky, and my W124 has a TC drain plug, if it didn't, I wouldn't do any of this fiddling about, I would simply change the oil a bit more frequently.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Centrifugual force empties the flywheel, most of it anyway. Some will always remain.

Spinning will make the oil fling out to the outer edges, but, the oil feed and return to the torque convertor is via the hollow fixed and rotating shafts in the centre.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spinning will make the oil fling out to the outer edges, but, the oil feed and return to the torque convertor is via the hollow fixed and rotating shafts in the centre.

The guys in the states use a pump on the oil cooler

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
vacuuming at oil cooler connections will get a lot of the convertor oil out.

anyone any opinions on why mb only reccomend one change at relatively low mileage, then never again? and that first change is one more than the 722.6 box was originally intended to have. this gearbox has highly sophisticated control and many complex self adaptations at various speeds and loads. using the internal speed sensors and modulated control of the solenoids makes the changes super smooth and consequently minimises friction disk and clutch drum wear. and that self adaptation could easily cope with any viscosity change in the oil as well as wear and tear of clutches etc. the oil therefore has very little to contaminate it and the cooler ensures the oil does not overheat - you know where i am going with this! so mb realised the transmission oil life could be extremely long.

it became apparent that due to the breaking in of gearboxes and subsequent accumulation of minute swarf particles and friction material particles these boxes spent the rest of their lives living with this contamination - mostly with no problems. hence the scheduled, once only oil change.
i do not reccomend to our customers that they have the oil changed more than once, i think on this one mb have it about right - although it goes against common sense not to schedule gbox oil changes why change oil when not needed?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

anyone any opinions on why mb only reccomend one change at relatively low mileage, then never again? and that first change is one more than the 722.6 box was originally intended to have. this gearbox has highly sophisticated control and many complex self adaptations at various speeds and loads. using the internal speed sensors and modulated control of the solenoids makes the changes super smooth and consequently minimises friction disk and clutch drum wear. and that self adaptation could easily cope with any viscosity change in the oil as well as wear and tear of clutches etc. the oil therefore has very little to contaminate it and the cooler ensures the oil does not overheat - you know where i am going with this! so mb realised the transmission oil life could be extremely long.

it became apparent that due to the breaking in of gearboxes and subsequent accumulation of minute swarf particles and friction material particles these boxes spent the rest of their lives living with this contamination - mostly with no problems. hence the scheduled, once only oil change.
i do not reccomend to our customers that they have the oil changed more than once, i think on this one mb have it about right - although it goes against common sense not to schedule gbox oil changes why change oil when not needed?

The changing of the fluid was only ever done at 40k miles when the car was on assyst and not otherwise. So does changing the fluid where it has never been changed hold good.

LYNALL

Reaction score
Change it, oils cheap and gearboxs and the associated hassle are more trouble than its worth.

I had a disco tdi a few years ago and they were notorious for auto box probs, so all i did was drain and refill the box sump every time i did the engine, cheap as chips and i never had any bother for over 50k.

Lynall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Change it, oils cheap and gearboxs and the associated hassle are more trouble than its worth.

I had a disco tdi a few years ago and they were notorious for auto box probs, so all i did was drain and refill the box sump every time i did the engine, cheap as chips and i never had any bother for over 50k.

Lynall

My thoughts too new oil can never do any harm

OP
M

MAAB

Reaction score
Original question remains, Should I or Should not change the AT oil

Thanks for your contribution But I am still more confussed on the issue whether to replace the oil or not. Original post - MAAB

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your contribution But I am still more confussed on the issue whether to replace the oil or not. Original post - MAAB

Do not forget that cars not on assist did not get the fluid changed at 40k miles

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
the shorthand of what i am saying is
that in my opinion it is beneficial to have the oil changed once at, say, 40k and then every 150k or more or never would be fine. gearboxes are not contaminators of oil in the same way that engines are, also mb gbox oil is not cheap but is of a very specific and high quality. when do we change steering/suspension fluid? or diff oil these days? both have similar stresses and adverse conditions. hope my point of view is clear; mb are not always wrong either!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Alexander for the reply I can see some reasoning behind it

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom