I'd say the correct term is ATF?
Michael :->

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
If you remove the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine for a few seconds, the centrifugal force will throw some out of the flywheel. Do this a couple of times to get some more out. It worked for me.

If you want to do it properly - drain and clean out the sump. Refit sump. Refill with 4.5 litres "fluid". Remove the return line from the cooler to the sump and place bucket under it. Start engine and run. Fluid will pump through and out of the return line. When 2 litres of fluid has been pumped out, turn off and add 2 litres of fresh oil via the dipstick. Restart. Pump another 2 litres through, stop engine, refit pipe and fill with whatever is necessary to bring fluid to correct level. This will give you a 90+% change. Nothing will do 100%.

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
cheers good man. its 5 speed and yeah, no dipstick, so bought one on ebay, hot and cold marks

What are the Hot ald Cold mark measurements on the dip stick?

Would like to make one from curtain wire.

Cheers
Richard

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
hot and cold ATF

it expands when it gets hot so higher level!

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
What are the Hot ald Cold mark measurements on the dip stick?

Would like to make one from curtain wire.

Cheers
Richard

Here you are....

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 35

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Personally, I would buy the real dipstick. Why bother with curtain wire.

Today I just bought 7 litres ATF, filter and gasket from Mercedes. £100.25. The guy on the desk gave me trade discount without me even asking. Will do the change within the next couple of weeks, 45k miles since last time I drained.

This will be my 3rd change since I bought the V6 7 years ago.

Going on my annual holiday to Norfolk area and a long drive from Glasgow so I want to make sure all is good.

I will take pics of the oil change and post them here, if anyone wants to see them?

OP
G

garygilbert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI/03/2.7 DIESEL
bought a dipstick on ebay with hot and cold marks for 3 quid

mobi

Reaction score
oil change update.

I took the Merc for a round trip of 110 miles today and there is no sign of gearbox noise now, but once, after a coffee stop it did not want to change out of second gear until it was revving quite hard, the problem I had before the oil change, but it only happened once.!!:confused:

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Magnets fitted either inside or outside of the sump pan will trap most metal minute particles from circulating within, and will prolong the life of any auto gearbox.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I thought the filter was designed to do that.....

The auto boxes do have a magnet stuck (magnetically) to the sump floor..
At least the 2 5 speed boxes I watched being serviced had..

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The auto boxes do have a magnet stuck (magnetically) to the sump floor..
At least the 2 5 speed boxes I watched being serviced had..
Mine being a 2000 model did not have a magnet installed which surprised me the first time I took the sump off. I did fit one on refit

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
What about the non ferrous metals ?

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is one in mine, now.

mobi

Reaction score
One more thing that I have noticed since changing the auto oil, the engine cooling fan seems to cut in more often and run for much longer, in fact , before the oil change I didn't really notice the fan at all, anyone got any ideas.?

mobi

Reaction score
further to oil change

One extra puzzle, since changing the auto-box oil I now find that the engine cooling fan seems to be coming on more frequently and staying on a while,even if starting from cold. In fact I have never noticed the fan coming on before although I suppose it must have, otherwise, no problems. (touch wood.)

chizzel89

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto. Estate. 1998. 180,000 mls
Personally, I would buy the real dipstick. Why bother with curtain wire.

Today I just bought 7 litres ATF, filter and gasket from Mercedes. £100.25. The guy on the desk gave me trade discount without me even asking. Will do the change within the next couple of weeks, 45k miles since last time I drained.

This will be my 3rd change since I bought the V6 7 years ago.

Going on my annual holiday to Norfolk area and a long drive from Glasgow so I want to make sure all is good.

I will take pics of the oil change and post them here, if anyone wants to see them?

Whilst I can see it may be worth forking out that much on a fairly new car, you can get all the bits and fluid you need from aftermarket brands for £50, perhaps less if you're lucky.
Carlube and also Comma do a semi synthetic ATF which claims to meet MB236.10 / 12, found on ebay. The filter and pan seal can be had from ECP with the 25% discount code. These fluids are a cut above a standard dexron III, which people have used in the 722.6 without causing problems but not as good as a fully synthetic 236.14 fluid.

There are claims these aftermarket fluids will cause premature failure, but I've not seen anything more than anecdotal and most likely coincidental occurrences of this happening. Almost everyone report no problems using aftermarket ATF.

My thoughts are that trans fluid should be changed every 25-30k miles along with the filter for optimal transmission life. And £100 plus the time to do the job is a lot of money to spend on an older car potentially every 18 months. Over a 25k mile lifespan, I very much doubt that the Mercedes branded ATF is twice as good considering it is twice the price.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom