automatic

brk95

Reaction score
hi there i have just bought an 190 e -87 . lovely car but is have a problem with the gearbox ( aútomatic ) when i was and tried the car it shift all gears nice , but when i was and pick up the car next day it wont shift to 4 gear , the other gears work fine . the oil smells burn in the transmission .and it loocks red-brown . I work with race engings but this is my first automatic so i realy dont know what to do ,, i like the car ,, so i want it to work like it should,
Thankfull for answer.

tom7035

Reaction score
If the ATF is brown and smells burned then IMO it's very likely you will require another gearbox (recon. around £1100 or breaker/salvage, £200 or so + delivery. Fitting of course will be on top of this).
However it would be worthwhile changing the ATF and filter first, and give it another try. (Remember to drain the torque converter as well). Good luck.

flagstaff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'94 E220 Cab
don't forget that your car sets off in 2nd gear (unless you use kickdown) ... so you may actually be in 4th gear when you think you're in 3rd. what are the engine revs at 70mph? if you are in top, they should be around ~3,5000rpm.

cheshirecat

Reaction score
Flagstaff does this also apply to my 99 210 Eclass Auto Estate 300TD. It seems to pull away in 2nd unless in kickdown. The S/W switch position seems to make no difference, whereas I though in W position it would pull away in 2nd.

Thanks in advance!

OP
B

brk95

Reaction score
hi there , thanks for yours replies.
it most be in 3 gear the revs is very high around 110 km/h .
if i giv it full gas from standing still i can feel 3 gears ,
up to 150 then it act if its in neutral .i have change the filter and the oil in the gearbox , it smell realy burnt , but it was clean in the pan . no particels or anything . it shifts more smottly after the oil change

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
In years gone by when a car would not go into top, it was always the torque convertor, the way to test would do a stall test, that is car in D, parking and footbrake on, rev the car up and the revs should not exceed 2k only do this for 20 sec max.

The second way is to get the car up to 60-70 mph then take your foot off the throtle, look at the rev counter to see if the revs drop, and it goes into top, but slips out as soon as you touch the throtle.

I have looked in the MB program but no fault listed.

Malcolm

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
cheshirecat said:
Flagstaff does this also apply to my 99 210 Eclass Auto Estate 300TD. It seems to pull away in 2nd unless in kickdown. The S/W switch position seems to make no difference, whereas I though in W position it would pull away in 2nd.

Thanks in advance!

Theres a post somewhere that describes how to fix this fault. I can't find it, but its fairly simple to repair the switch, about 1 hours work, and no special tools required other than a few screwdrivers and a few allen keys. It involves pulling the gear selector out of the car (not as difficult as you'd imagine) and cleaning the switch.

I did it on mine, the test is just to let the car creep forward with no throttle and see if the WS switch changes gear.

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Parrot of Doom said:
Theres a post somewhere that describes how to fix this fault. I can't find it, but its fairly simple to repair the switch, about 1 hours work, and no special tools required other than a few screwdrivers and a few allen keys. It involves pulling the gear selector out of the car (not as difficult as you'd imagine) and cleaning the switch.

I did it on mine, the test is just to let the car creep forward with no throttle and see if the WS switch changes gear.

Do you mean this one ?.http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6722&highlight=gear+selector.

cheshirecat

Reaction score
Parrot of Doom said:

Thanks, will give it a go!

Stevie A

Reaction score
Gearbox on 190E has a switch. If in E mode starts in second. If in S mode starts in 1st gear. Look at switch.

Top Bottom