B class engine knocked after aux belt frayed and got sucked into engine

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
Have seen a few VW engines do this and also petrol Renault are common to do the same....... there is a small gap around the crank pulley cover and when the aux belt frays the strands get through the gap and cause the timing belt to jump teeth. A lot of mechanics choose to just say don't bother with a noisy pulley but there is a reason why they make a noise and it's a warning that it's going to fail. In your case I would take it up with the garage that failed to fix the problem in the first place because if the belt and pulley we're changed you wouldn't be in this position.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I have also seen this before. You have to remember that anything attached to the crank pulley is spinning around pretty quickly and anything attached to it that comes adrift will rattle and bang around fairly quickly punching holes in anything that will come into contact with it.

Those of you old enough to remember the 112 engines will remember the harmonic balancer failures and how they used to punch holes through the alloy timing case.

The original garage did you a bit of a disservice by not realising the seriousness of the squeal, but also any noise on a belt system is indicative of a worn component, no car leaves the factory with squeeky belt.

OP
T

Trishelon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
I have also seen this before. You have to remember that anything attached to the crank pulley is spinning around pretty quickly and anything attached to it that comes adrift will rattle and bang around fairly quickly punching holes in anything that will come into contact with it.

Those of you old enough to remember the 112 engines will remember the harmonic balancer failures and how they used to punch holes through the alloy timing case.

The original garage did you a bit of a disservice by not realising the seriousness of the squeal, but also any noise on a belt system is indicative of a worn component, no car leaves the factory with squeeky belt.
Thanks for all your replies. I will go back to the garage and raise the concerns you have raised as I also feel this was the case but tbh not expecting any accountability from them.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
reading this back , I think the chaps have provided an accurate cause and failure diagnosis , I very much doubt the garage who ignored the squeal will be liable , these sort of failures can happen at anytime unfortunately , life sucks ! Whatever happens DO NOT pay 4k for another engine , total rip off , the engine is common throughout both MB & Renault vehicles so a decent 2nd hand unit fitted would be the route to go imo

OP
T

Trishelon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
reading this back , I think the chaps have provided an accurate cause and failure diagnosis , I very much doubt the garage who ignored the squeal will be liable , these sort of failures can happen at anytime unfortunately , life sucks ! Whatever happens DO NOT pay 4k for another engine , total rip off , the engine is common throughout both MB & Renault vehicles so a decent 2nd hand unit fitted would be the route to go imo
Thanks I agree and looking at cheaper options.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
good for you , theres nothing special about the 1.5 derv unit so any decent local garage could swap it over , hell I could do the job on your driveway if the weather was good lol

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Thanks for all your replies. I will go back to the garage and raise the concerns you have raised as I also feel this was the case but tbh not expecting any accountability from them.

There is no recourse from the garage that did the service. Its not their car and they havent done the mileage in it. If they reported a squeeky belt, you should have asked them to diagnose it. If they dismiss it, it would be down to you to seek a second opinion, it is your car after all.

To diagnose it would require the aux belt to be removed, that takes time and would also require your authority.

As I stated, the garage did you a bit of a disservice, but nothing more.

Top Bottom