Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190 2.5d h-reg
Anyone have any ideas?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
This is up to you now, only you can see the parts in your hands, unless you want to post a picture?

If the arm/pulley is off at an angle it ought to be obvious why, so have a better look and see what gives.
Also, did you notice a washer installed between the arm and the engine front case? There is supposed to be one in there...

jefrs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S210 98 E320 Estate Av petrol full load
A cautionary tale - I had the fan belt let go on the M6.

It was the idler wheel that broke up.

The shredded belt did a fair mount of damage, including taking out the crankshaft oil seal. The parts were not terribly expensive.

OP
J

Jonnym

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190 2.5d h-reg
I had a belt go ion the M25 doing 70 this summer and got away with it lightly, that was because the tension arm has worked loose and let the belt slide.

Yes there is a washer, just as I was about to start the car after reattaching it I found it in the corner of the bits box, many curse word were uttered.

I took the arm of checked for any play in both the arm bolt bearing and the pulley wheel there was none, the pulley appear to be level with the arm although whether the arm is meant to be in line or not is unknown. The casting didn't have ant creases or cracks in it.

I will try a new arm I guess. Worth a £50 risk I suppose.

Thanks for the advise

OP
J

Jonnym

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190 2.5d h-reg
Just thought I would feed back.

I got a new tension arm and pulley for £48, which is a good price.

It was in deed a crossed thread issue. The new tension arm also started to spin up at an odd angle. I managed to force it to go straight aided by a big screw driver. After a few turns it seemed to find the correct thread and started to spin in just using my fingers which was encouraging and then tighten up. How much tread is damaged I have no idea and hope what ever is left does the job.

I would like to thank every one who helped.

Thanks

Jon

OP
J

Jonnym

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190 2.5d h-reg
Just to add to the tread. The tensioner still wont stay done up and keeps working loose. The threads are obviously stuffed.

What is at the end of the bolt? I can feel something odd at the back and it seems to be leaking oil from there?

Is it possible to have it drilled and helicoiled? If its in to the engine then I would guess not.

thanks for any help

Jonnym

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom