Best type of coil spring compressor?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I somehow lost my last set of spring compressors, so need to buy some. Doubt if I will need these again after doing the front springs on my Wife's A Class, as the CL has ABC.
So just 2 springs to do.
Looking at 3 types :-
1. cheapo black iron £8.69 has 2 claw hooks. 380mm. Are 2 pronged claws safer? Or do they cause problems scraping the paint / be a pain as they are rigid and not slanted? Vendor has sold 470, all left good but limited reviews.

2. more expensive at £17.85 has a blue case 300mm long, Has single but wider Block hooks with a safety securing pin. Uses a 19mm socket, so might be a thinner threaded bar. I like the idea of a safety pin, but could the block part get in the way. Note the strut will be off the car as I am replacing the bushing as well.

3. Mid Priced £9.89 one has a single heavy duty silver longer Claw, but the claw is angled more than curved, So concerned might cut through the paint on the new spring. 280mm long. But being a deeper claw might be safer. uses a M21 socket so suspect the threaded bar may be thicker/stronger. One review said the claw was too long and got in the way.

Any views from folks have used these most welcome ?

Attachments

• IMG_8375.png
    IMG_8375.png
    602.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8374.png
    IMG_8374.png
    709.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8373.png
    IMG_8373.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 10

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Tbh for 2 springs I would be tempted to take the legs to a local garage and pay them a few quids.

No scratching of the new springs.
May be cheaper.
No need to store tools of no future benefit.

But I have the types you have listed, and far prefer the other options shown.
Less likely to lose the top of me 'ead with those.

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
When I change the front springs or shockers on my Vito I use four compressor clamps, equally spaced, as I have seen them in pairs when they slide around and can be a finger snapper, and not to mention when a cheaper one gives way.
The ones I own have square form threads for extra strength. I know this sounds like over kill, but its better than spending 10 hours in A&E.
I know when regular car garages are fitting springs to vans because of the energy stored, they take them to the local Mercedes Commercial dealership.
I need a 21 mm socket to operate the clamps I use, again better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Tbh for 2 springs I would be tempted to take the legs to a local garage and pay them a few quids.

This ^ , unless i was doing it on a regular basis the above is they way i did it with the W219.

Anytime i have replaced springs myself i always take the struts into work and stick them in a 6" vice with ratchet straps on the springs to save loosing a body-part should one come adrift.

K

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I bought the £8.69 types for my w211 front springs , they came with bandages and toilet rolls. I used 4 per spring . Nervous times .

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
I must admit, the spring compressors are coming into their own, as I have so many people knocking on the door asking for help with their suspensions being damaged with all these pot-holes everywhere. The main reason being they can't get their vehicles into repair shops purely because of the lead times for repairs.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Absolutely this.
When I did the R the springs are massively strong.
The local garages struggled with them with one managing to get the broken spring off but their hydraulic floor mounted one was bending trying to get the new one on.
In the end took it to a place with a really heavy duty truck spring compressor and they had it done in 5 minutes.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom