Best UK solution for R170 roof mods?

Ben Lovejoy

Reaction score
Website
www.nurburgring.org.uk
I want a couple of modifications to the roof:

1. One-touch up/down (instead of having to hold the button)

2. Raise/lower while moving at slow speed (what max speed is recommended?)

I am definitely not a DIY guy, so would need someone to fit it in the London/Essex area.

What kit is recommended, and who would you recommend to fit it?

Ben

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi ben there is only 1 kit made as far as I know, it works well on all cars, it is very simple to fit and they come with good instruction and only one lead to plug in

OP
Ben Lovejoy

Ben Lovejoy

Reaction score
Website
www.nurburgring.org.uk
Which kit is that? I came across one on one of the US boards and it seemed to be a one-man-band who had a large backorder list.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cant find it tonight, I will put the details soon as I can

Bustermou

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 C200K
Manual over-ride?

Hey Malcolm, any update on that kit for the SLK's roof closure?

I would also like to ask of the possibility of bypassing the elctronics on the existing wiring, as surely there IS a way to disconnect the roof operation button from the speed sensor wizardry!

Please let us know asap!

Regards my friend,

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can pick them up on Ebay cheap these days

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
There are two R170 roof module kits currently readily available, the German 'Cabrio-Module' from Reinhold Engineering and the American 'Smart Top' from Mods4Cars.

Both of these are readily available on eBay here and here for example.

Both permit 'one touch' operation on the roof control and at up to 30mph in the case of the Cabrio-module and at a programmable speed of your choice with the Smart Top. Both allow you to raise and lower the roof with the remote locking 'plip'. The american unit has some programmable functionality which the German unit lacks, and note also that the Reinhold system affects the speed proportional wipers and the speed sensitive door locking, although the effect is minor.

The Cabrio-Module is particularly good value at the moment, going for around one quarter of it's original listed price. Both systems are are simple to fit but do require some delving into densely packed wiring and making reliable electrical connections. Any competent auto electrician would have no trouble fitting either. I fitted my Cabrio-Module in a couple of hours and it has made the roof operation a great deal more practical.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom