Big job to repair corroded exhaust mounts?

SmoothBall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Kompressor W211 2003 1798 cc Petrol
Hi folks,

2003 W211.

Left-hand exhaust pipe mount has broken. Also the cross brace (between rear sections of left and right pipes). Corrosion is the problem.

Need to drop it into my indie Merc-man.

Anyone able to comment about how difficult or costly this job might be?
Is there much disassembly to get at the job?
Can the joints be re-welded (they look pretty badly corroded), or do I need to install new sections of exhaust pipe?

Attached pics should clarify.
Many thanks,
Ken.

Attachments

• Exhaust Mount 1 Annotated.jpg
    Exhaust Mount 1 Annotated.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Exhaust Mount 2 Annotated.jpg
    Exhaust Mount 2 Annotated.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
It looks as though the joint leakage may be due to its freedom to rotate because of the broken bracket. Hard to tell from a photo.

I would have thought that a competent mechanic could put a clamp round the pipe and form a new hanger from, say, 10mm ms rod to connect bracket and clamp. Not a big job, surely - well within the scope of a local garage.

Umble

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My favourite exhaust guy (Ant at ARO Exhausts) would have that sorted in no time by making new mounts and resealing it all.

OP
SmoothBall

SmoothBall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Kompressor W211 2003 1798 cc Petrol
Fixed.

Got a recommendation from my indie Merc-man for an exhaust outfit that does welding repairs (Auto Exhausts, Crumlin, Dublin).

Dropped it out the next morning, and Mark had it repaired in 20 minutes for €45!

Simple but effective, and just as umblecumbuz had mentioned: replaced the mounts on each pipe with 10 mm rod, bent into a hook to go around the pipe with the longer shank extending through the rubber hanger, secured with a nut to stop it slipping out. The existing cross-brace, fairly badly corroded, was just tacked back on to the pipes on both sides.

Regards,
Ken.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom