Brake judder

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
waiting, but not holding my breath, cant hold it that long !!!!!
Well joderest buddy, the update is that my garage has done a full test drive and inspection, has re bled the brakes and he has come to conclusion it must be the discs causing the issue as my previous discs were not causing issues, i told him to put standard discs & pads on and he is certain that will solve issue, if that is the case then Black diamond will have to refund my money back for the parts i ordered but only once they get them back and test them themselves? Huh im sure they will say nothing is wrong with them ??

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Thats great, but a shame.
My old W163, i fitted new pads and disc's all round, and after a few thousand miles, had a judder from a rear brake, long story short, one of the rear callipers had the inside piston stuck, so when brakes applied only one side pushed, this ended up distorting the disc. They were Padgid disc's i bought. I removed both rear callipers and rebuilt them with new seals etc, bought some cheap COMLINE discs for the rear, put it all back together, been perfect ever since.

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI Sport S211 2009, CLS320cdi Sport C219 2006, CLK320 Cab W209 2005
Hi guys
I put in here a while ago about my front brake judder on my 2002 W220 S500 i did resolve it by taking out pads sanding them down and all seemed good......until today when the judder came back and had brake fade too??ive had new black diamond discs and new front calipers and the pads are black diamond predator . I contacted PFS parts in Nottingham who supplied the items and they were bemused too, they contacted black diamond who were also bemused as i said maybe if i put a brand new set in?
The garage who done the work assured me all braking components were cleaned before assembly, so any help please as im at a loss what it could be? Could be something simple, discs look fine with no scoring or grooves in them
Good morning I only just read this so sorry for delayed reaction, you mention the brake fade which only occurs when something gets too hot, if one calipre is working harder than the other and esp is clicking in to solve the inbalance you will have the issues mentioned, test this by creating the problem and hitting the brakes with a laser temp gun, I have found aftermarket callipers can do this, also check the hub centres for temp differential to see if one wheel bearing is loose once it gets warm, any extra movement causes extra heat and i find lots of issues quicker with a temp gun than trying to feel movement.
That said I only use Merc brake parts as they can not be bettered even by so-called upgrade aftermarket items with sexy names, thats not meant as a criticism but experience of Mercs R & D process, MB brakes are over spec`d in most cases, aftermarket callipers are not.

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Good morning I only just read this so sorry for delayed reaction, you mention the brake fade which only occurs when something gets too hot, if one calipre is working harder than the other and esp is clicking in to solve the inbalance you will have the issues mentioned, test this by creating the problem and hitting the brakes with a laser temp gun, I have found aftermarket callipers can do this, also check the hub centres for temp differential to see if one wheel bearing is loose once it gets warm, any extra movement causes extra heat and i find lots of issues quicker with a temp gun than trying to feel movement.
That said I only use Merc brake parts as they can not be bettered even by so-called upgrade aftermarket items with sexy names, thats not meant as a criticism but experience of Mercs R & D process, MB brakes are over spec`d in most cases, aftermarket callipers are not.
Hi thanks for your input, funny enough i thought i had after market calipers put on the front but actually they are MB ones , my garage are confident putting standard discs and pads in will cure the problem and has re bled the brake, apparently my car is done but they want to take it for a good test drive before they give it back to me....fingers crossed?? Maybe they want to pose and cruising in the 5.0 ( Vanilla Ice) ha!

Last edited:
OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Well guys n gals update on the beast, had standards discs and pads put on so that should solve the judder? As for lack of brake pressure and brake fade, my garage man has tracked it down to dodgy master cylinder and breaking down seals inside as they bled them 3 times and pedal still not firm.
He did say it may not be a ABS unit but could not say defo but had to order from Stuttgart as MB part only but far as im concered i want Genuine part only for this, they could bleed them all day long but if seals have failed it will be no use and i do not want to drive a car with dodgy brakes obviously! Looks like il be booking some overtime shifts to pay for brakes and the other works ha!

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Update on the beast....still not got it back guys...seems like low brake pressure was due to master cyclinder knackered, been on there nearly 20yrs, new one coming from Germany and still not here after nearly a week, so im stuck with this 1.6 auto focus for a while? Least im mobile but oh boy do i miss my lovely Merc!!
Hopefully after road test the brake judder should be no more?

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Oh update on update guys , garage called me and told me that Mercedes had ordered wrong part to come from Germany! They ordered a valve cylinder or something like that? Anyway they are now ordering correct part and now even more delays getting the beast back! Ggrrrhhh!!! Told garage they should call back and call them swinehunz and to be put into ze cooler!!! Ha! :)

Last edited:
OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Well guys i have the beast back from the garage and all is good!! ....hurrah!! ...not so hurrah is the bill! ....for £957! Ouch!! But at least i have a complete new braking system now and safe to drive and we all know you cannot put a price on safety..should last for many years now. Will be sorting out the previous discs to be sent back to be tested and hopefully il have my money refunded back which will help? Me thinks il have to do some overtime to help pay for the secondary cat replacements til later as it seems ok at present

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Well guys brakes are all good now, and i got refund on the discs i had to send back so that softened the heavy bill a bit...car now booked in for 4th August to have the secondary cats replaced as they sound like a couple of empty baked bean cans at times ha! Good job im doing plenty of overtime at the moment :)

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK 220 CDI Auto
Well guys i have the beast back from the garage and all is good!! ....hurrah!! ...not so hurrah is the bill! ....for £957! Ouch!! But at least i have a complete new braking system now and safe to drive and we all know you cannot put a price on safety..should last for many years now. Will be sorting out the previous discs to be sent back to be tested and hopefully il have my money refunded back which will help? Me thinks il have to do some overtime to help pay for the secondary cat replacements til later as it seems ok at present
£975. What the hell are those pads and disc's made of...gold

I am hoping you had some other work done for that price. Was this done at the Stealership? Argh, i see cat replacement.

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
£975. What the hell are those pads and disc's made of...gold

I am hoping you had some other work done for that price. Was this done at the Stealership? Argh, i see cat replacement.
Well it was just the brake work but also had to get another set of discs and pads which made higher bill....but i did get refund back on first set of parts so bill came down to £700 , much more reasonable. Secondary cats are £750 inc vat and fitting but off long term sick so postoned them as cannot drive for long

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom