Brake overheating

sham733

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a quick question and I do hope all you guys can give me a respond on this. Mercedes have told that my brake overheating.Will it effect anything to my car.Hope to get advised from u.

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A few more details please, which brake and where

OP
S

sham733

Reaction score
Hi television,
overheating at rear brake. that what mercedes told me.

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
I would be inclined to replace the disc,s and pads and clean up and correctly grease the caliper. If the brakes are binding they could over heat and even catch fire.

Check the parking brake shoes are ok inside the rear disc while its removed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2 reasons for the rears to overheat, sticking pistons, or pads, the other that applies to older cars is the collapse of the rear flexible pipes on the inside that prevents the pistons from backing off after a stop

OP
S

sham733

Reaction score
Hi Ellsy,
What I have notice that another problem is my handbrake light stick. Does it cause my rear brake overheating?

OP
S

sham733

Reaction score
I would like to take my car to garage but I'm really worried that the overheating brake could cause a fire at the back of my car if the distance to get to garage too far.

meanie

Reaction score
Your original post doesn't say why you took it in to Mercs in the first place.
If it wasn't for a brake fault,then the chances it are it's not too dramatic,as you would have noticed the smell.
If that is the case,then take it to someone that you trust.
I would get it done sooner rather than later though,as you don't want to cause yourself more problems(ie.wheel bearings etc.).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any garage can fix brakes, can you push the car when it is in N

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
I doubt it will catch fire that easily, its just a absolute worst case senario. Just take it easy and get it to a dealer, indie as soon as possible.

The parking brake light is most likely just cable adjustment.

To be sure, jack up the offending wheel and make sure with the brakes and parking brake off and make sure it turns resonably easily. if it is jammed up solid then you may need to get it recovered but the chances are you will be fine.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree with Ellsy above on that

OP
S

sham733

Reaction score
meanie and television,
I took my car to mErcedes dealer for winter check and they have listed few things that need attention to my car. one of them is :
sign of osr brake overheating.

Last week, I went to Sainsbury with the car and I was raining. As soon as I got into my parking garage I can hear funny sound from the back but when I brake my car the sound disappear and I suspect I came from the brake and might be I had been overheated.

I just parked my car since then and waiting to take to garage to get repaired but still worry if drive too long could cause fire or other problem to wheel or car.

Really need to get this thing sorted. Please help

meanie

Reaction score
Any garage can fix brakes, can you push the car when it is in N

Agreed-the only difference between them is how much of your braking system they think needs 'fixing' & how much it costs you!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you can push the car with th brake off and in N or D then you have no worries on driving to the garage

OP
S

sham733

Reaction score
Mercedes dealer quoted me £282 and the independent garage will cost me £150+VAT. What made me in puzzle is the distance to get them which mercedes dealer is just 10 mins drive and ready anytime to get it repaired but the independent garage asked me to take the car this saturday and will get repaired next week. I'm worry too much driving will overheat the brake.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes dealer quoted me £282 and the independent garage will cost me £150+VAT. What made me in puzzle is the distance to get them which mercedes dealer is just 10 mins drive and ready anytime to get it repaired but the independent garage asked me to take the car this saturday and will get repaired next week. I'm worry too much driving will overheat the brake.

Please read post 14 and try that first

meanie

Reaction score

Bit puzzled.We know that Mercs have looked at it & as such have given you a price based on what they've seen(although my money's on that rising before it's ready for collection).
But the price from the indie is based on what information.And why do they want it dropped off on Saturday if they are going to look at it next week.
Doesn't fill me with confidence!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bit puzzled.We know that Mercs have looked at it & as such have given you a price based on what they've seen(although my money's on that rising before it's ready for collection).
But the price from the indie is based on what information.And why do they want it dropped off on Saturday if they are going to look at it next week.
Doesn't fill me with confidence!

I have to agree with you on both counts

OP
S

sham733

Reaction score
The price from indie is based on the information I gave them from on the evaluation sheet given by the Mercs. The indie asked me to bring in the car this sat so they can better look at it and be sure which parts to order and then decide arrange another day for repair. If you're in my position, which one to choose?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom