Buying an SLK - any to avoid?

glawless

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK
After a fairly major health issue this year I've decided to stop just dreaming about and to start owning a MB SLK. I haven't owned one before so I wanted to know if there are any particular years/models I should avoid?

I've got up to £20k to spend and I'd prefer to buy something about 2 years old - although this is because I don't want to buy something that is unreliable so could possibly go older than this if it's not too risky.

I'd love to hear your recommendations and thoughts. Thanks!

PhiliusM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 350; Megane
Doh just returned a mint 3 year old SLK300 at the end PCP. Could have been yours for £18,500. I never missed a beat. Reg number HJ60HNT if you see it advertised go for it.

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
After a fairly major health issue this year I've decided to stop just dreaming about and to start owning a MB SLK. I haven't owned one before so I wanted to know if there are any particular years/models I should avoid?

I've got up to £20k to spend and I'd prefer to buy something about 2 years old - although this is because I don't want to buy something that is unreliable so could possibly go older than this if it's not too risky.

We have had one since new - (1998) - never missed a beat - all I would say is get as lower mileage as you can find, check all electrics work and check the roof operation -several times.

ENJOY

Malcolm

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
Doh just returned a mint 3 year old SLK300 at the end PCP. Could have been yours for £18,500. I never missed a beat. Reg number HJ60HNT if you see it advertised go for it.

This would be such a good idea.. Before handing back the cars on PCP just l the forum know what the cost is and offer the cars for sale. I guess the issue would be a lack of availability of finance options but I'd much rather someone got my ML for the contract value rather than having to pay £5/6k more at a dealers for it!

BEJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Volvo XC60 se lux nav geartronic. SLK230K now gone.
I've had a 2002 model now for two years. Brilliant.
Do make sure that it is rust free though and a service history - not neccessarily dealer, but a good reliable Indie is probably better.
Low miles is good.

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Avoid the early W171 2005-2007 models. The 271 and 272 engines are crap for chewing timing chains and balance shafts. Anything after that and you will be ok.

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK

How's the search going? :cool:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom