Buying Mercedes CL420 1998 R Reg

OP
S

Sukki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL Class/ 2007/ 320CDI
Which part of the country is it in? If the seller is called Toby there's a good chance its Malcolm's. I have a Malcolm car myself :)

Engine and transmission wise the 420 is an M119 engine which is thought by many to be the best petrol engine MB ever made. I have the 5 litre version in my SL.
I think in that year it will have distributors - budget for new caps and rotors every year or two. About £200 the set and only use Beru or Bosch ones. Other than that plastic cam chain guides can get brittle and the plastic cam oilers can fail. Both show as a rattle. The cam oilers are very easy to do and metal ones are available which get around the issue permanently.

The guys isnt Toby im afraid. The cars based in Oxenholme, Lake District.

Thanks for this info, much appreciated

OP
S

Sukki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL Class/ 2007/ 320CDI
That is strange !
I see the car also is listed DVLA wise as Silver. There is an error somewhere as it also states Dark Blue soft top fabric 5010 (code 744) !!
Do you think it could be a mistake with where you got the data sheet from as tge hoi shiws silver.

Bit worries now as i have contradicting info. Surely hpi is right isnt it?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Do you think it could be a mistake with where you got the data sheet from as tge hoi shiws silver.

Bit worries now as i have contradicting info. Surely hpi is right isnt it?
Possible, nothings infallible I guess and this is going back 20 years near enough.
Other possibilities are that it was resprayed at some time in it’s life, that would have to have been altered with the DVLA etc.
Does the VIN number on this data sheet tie up with what the seller is informing you?

OP
S

Sukki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL Class/ 2007/ 320CDI
Does the VIN number on this data sheet tie up with what the seller is informing you?[/QUOTE]
Possible, nothings infallible I guess and this is going back 20 years near enough.
Other possibilities are that it was resprayed at some time in it’s life, that would have to have been altered with the DVLA etc.
Does the VIN number on this data sheet tie up with what the seller is informing you?

The VIN all matches which is why this is a little alarming for me. If the car had a respray at some point, then this should shown on the hoi report but it isnt.

Ill ask the guy to send me a pic of the current vin on the car.

Is there any oher way of checking this?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

The VIN all matches which is why this is a little alarming for me. If the car had a respray at some point, then this should shown on the hoi report but it isnt.

Is there any oher way of checking this?[/QUOTE]
That is your best bet and most infallible. As we said the data sheet could well be flawed, and the evidence here is that this is likely given it mentions a dark blue soft top roof material which I’d like to think yours won’t have ;)
Oh, just another thought- you could ask the seller whether he has the data card - a lot of enthusiasts keep the originals with the paperwork (I have with my cars for instance), just to compare and see if my decoder is incorrect?

OP
S

Sukki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL Class/ 2007/ 320CDI

Is there any oher way of checking this?
That is your best bet and most infallible. As we said the data sheet could well be flawed, and the evidence here is that this is likely given it mentions a dark blue soft top roof material which I’d like to think yours won’t have ;)[/QUOTE]
Hehhee. Cool. Thanks for your help. Really appreciate the help you and Craig have given me.

Ill Post some pics here when i hopefully pick it on the weekend, wearher permitting tho.

Thanks again guys. Much appreciated. Have a lovely weekend.

OP
S

Sukki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL Class/ 2007/ 320CDI
surely if it had be repainted they would have sorted the rusty bits ?
Very true. The fact it has rust spots on the arches and bonnet could suggest its an original car. Mmthe car has sent me a pic of the vin which all matches too so i think John might be right in saying the data sheet is incorrect

If not, hpi will be paying out some compensation hehhehe

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
If it had a soft top it would be in trouble claiming to be a C140!!!!!

OP
S

Sukki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL Class/ 2007/ 320CDI
Hehhee. I bet it would have looked nice though in a soft top. Just picturing it now!!!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hehhee. I bet it would have looked nice though in a soft top. Just picturing it now!!!
And the body in a nice U or W shape when viewed from the side...

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I always fancied one of these with a full skirt kit and larger wheels , would have to be a black one though , which seem one of the rarer colours in this model

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I always fancied one of these with a full skirt kit and larger wheels , would have to be a black one though , which seem one of the rarer colours in this model
Carbon fibre wrap it ;)

OP
S

Sukki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL Class/ 2007/ 320CDI
I have the plan to bigger wheels on mine and just tidy up the bodywork. Not doing anythig to the body work in terms of a kit. Want it as original as possible apart from the wheels.

I think these will be worth a bit in the coming years just like the sec. the SEC is what i really wanted but a little out of my budget.

Getting excited now, but see how it goes on Sunday.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BE4DCDFD-365F-4BF9-9AB9-C2CC6F6D42F0.jpeg AC71F495-4F51-4AB4-B3F5-727B2CE18F71.jpeg I put these wheels on my 215, apparently some here think they look alright.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yours is 2 years older- mine is a 2000MY car.

OP
S

Sukki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL Class/ 2007/ 320CDI
Yours is 2 years older- mine is a 2000MY car.
In age. I meant, shape wise.

The 140 looks a rectangle tank hehhe. You i did nearly buy your shape. very close to it.

What size are your wheels?

Top Bottom