C-Class Estate handling in the wet/snow

richsmith2005

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Estate C250 BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 5d Auto
Hi,

I've had my C-Class Estate (C250 BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 5d Auto) since spring, so haven't driven it in Winter yet. I check the tyre pressures regularly.

The car handles very well in the dry, but on wet roads, the traction control kicks in readily when entering/exiting a roundabout whilst accelerating. The back end has stepped out a couple of times, once dramatically, I don't feel as though I'm particularly thrashing it. It's the first rear-wheel drive, automatic and estate car I've had, so perhaps I'm driving it too hard, but any slower and I'm being undertaken by Fiesta's.

Is winter tyres what I need here?

Last edited:

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
Hi,

I've had my C-Class Estate (C250 BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 5d Auto) since last spring, so haven't driven it in Winter yet. I check the tyre pressures regularly.

The car handles very well in the dry, but on wet roads, the traction control kicks in readily when entering/exiting a roundabout whilst accelerating. The back end has stepped out a couple of times, once dramatically, I don't feel as though I'm particularly thrashing it. It's the first rear-wheel drive, automatic and estate car I've had, so perhaps I'm driving it too hard, but any slower and I'm being undertaken by Fiesta's.

Is winter tyres what I need here?

I have just ordered my winter tyres for my C350e. In my experience, like all rear wheel drive cars, if show a Merc some snow then you either go back indoors or are in very hairy drive and confirmation that adrenalin is brown ! I look at it simply that there is very little extra cost in winter tyres - the miles you do on them saves the miles on the summer tyres so over 3 years you buy no more tyres

OP
R

richsmith2005

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. Do you keep the same alloy's and just pay the fitting again come early spring to swap them back?

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I leave all season or winters on all year nowadays.
The cost, inconvenience and need to store spare sets takes some justification especially since my all season lasted longer the the summers on my C class.

The temperatures aren't low enough for the 'need' of winters yet though.

OP
R

richsmith2005

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Hi Mike,

What size are yours? Are these available in 18's yet do you know?

Mine are 195/65 15s. Don't know about 18s but check with any of the tyre fitter websites.

OP
R

richsmith2005

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I leave all season or winters on all year nowadays.
The cost, inconvenience and need to store spare sets takes some justification especially since my all season lasted longer the the summers on my C class.

The temperatures aren't low enough for the 'need' of winters yet though.

Yeah, it does seem like a lot of work, but given how badly the car is performing when the road is even slightly wet, I need to do something. Can't seem to find any of these 'new generation' all season tyres in 18's though. Any supplier you can suggest?

OP
R

richsmith2005

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine are 195/65 15s. Don't know about 18s but check with any of the tyre fitter websites.

Tried a few, none seem to have them in my size unfortunately, otherwise I was sold.

ashford charlie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class W211 (09) 220cdi Estate
I've got Michelin CrossClimate on my E220 for a month or so now so too early to report how they do in snowy conditions but I find them to be pretty quiet in the meantime (225x55x16).

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Personally, I went the two sets of wheels route as I did not want the risk of a tyre fitter twice a year having the opportunity to scar my alloys - plus at £10 per wheel (£80pa) the cost soon mounts up to what a second set of wheels can be bought for off Ebay. Another advantage is that I can thoroughly clean and protect the rims while they are off the car - much easier than trying to get the insides really clean when on the car!

Accepted wisdom is that smaller rims and narrower tyres are better for snow/wet conditions, so although I run staggered 17's in summer, my winter set are unstaggered 16's.

First winter with my C270 S203 a few years ago convinced me that, even way down south where I am, winter tyres were a must. I had to sell my s203 winter wheels as they would not fit the S204, but found a suitable set for a very acceptable price on Ebay, fit them late November and remove them late March, takes about 1/2 hour on the driveway.

BTW, I have a set of S204 16" Elegance 12 spokes for sale!

Last edited:

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
The tyre fitter stores my tyres for £ 50 / year. The purchase cost of my Continental TS830 includes fitting so I'll only pay for swapping next summer - he does it for about £ 25.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Yeah, it does seem like a lot of work, but given how badly the car is performing when the road is even slightly wet, I need to do something. Can't seem to find any of these 'new generation' all season tyres in 18's though. Any supplier you can suggest?

I just ask my local, well aquanted, local fitter. Where he can't supply I then go to any of the regular sites. So sorry I can't really assist much.

I personally far prefer the smaller diameter wheels and wouldn't have issue going retro to 15", but fashion causes many to like big wheels, wide skinny tyres that give a horrible ride, and suffer damage with the many pot holes.

I've 16" on the Vito and 17" on the C so no problem sourcing tyres really.
The Gr Cherokee has 17" wheels with 4x4 fat tyres, they seem to last forever and handle pot holes far better. It feels like tiger bouncing down the road though.

I don't knock those that like wagon sized wheels on their little cars but sometimes the winter sizes found in the handbook would permit going down a wheel size (as a possible choice).

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I'm on my 3rd MB, and all have worn winters (or All-Season+ on the first MB). I work in the Mids and northwest a lot typically, and they were all dependable on the winter rubber. (The second one was a remapped CLS 320 CDi).

Even on the current chariot, it was fairly well behaved last winter, unless I was particularly heavy-handed with it.

OP
R

richsmith2005

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all the comments. I can see why if you were going for winter/summer swaps twice a year, the second set of alloys would be worthwhile. At £650 (used) for the four, I'd have to keep the car a long time for the fitting cost to catch up with me, though. I just about have the space store the tyres.

Given the issues I'm having in the wet, I take it I want at least a "C" rating for wet grip on the new winter tyres, or do you folk not take much notice of these ratings?

The car currently has four "all seasons, reinforced" non-brand tyres on it.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
My W203 in France, we were 600km from the tunnel with 6 hours to get there, the two inside lanes were covered in snow most of the time, but we made it no problem.

Dunlop Winter 4D tyres.

snow.jpg

Pookis Dad

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 Range Rover V8 (miss the Benz)
I guess I am lucky in that I got a set of four 16 inch alloys for free from a friend.

They are a bit scabby, so a wee paint to make them look better, then 4 new Gislaved Nordfrosts on them around 195/55/16 (the current tyres are 215/55/16 as I recall.

But it's a case of bung them on when the proper cold gets here and stick the nice wheels in the garage until it gets warm again.

I live wayyy oop nawrf, so when we get snow, it tends to be deep and sit for a bit.

Being that I DJ all over the Highlands, I kinda have to get there :| annd the Gizzy's have always been epic in their road holding ability...

Here's a video I shot last year coming home form a gig at around 02:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUInApRmkDw

As you can see, I have no fear about driving at speed with these tyres.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I'd like to drop a size but that's still a set of 18s that I'd have to buy and store (until my local chappie starts out on his own).

If your current tyres are unbranded (not knocking all lesser-known makes), that could be contributing to your issues, especially if reinforced - probably a very hard compound.

C or better should see you right; winter tyres have a higher silicon content which should help you further!

OP
R

richsmith2005

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Great forum. Glad I found it. Thanks all! :D

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
In the experience of members; have you tried adding weight to the rear of the car in the form of sandbags as a method of increasing traction when it's snowy/icy?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom