C class rear subframe corrosion W204 - 2024 update!

MBCF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2010
Have read many threads and am in the process of reading through all here and anything else available online.

C class 60 plate, MOT fail, a couple of inches above the frame is rusted through and split in two. The shock is also gone on the other side and the front shock is on its way out.

Informed MBCS, told to book in with retailer. Was told I would have to bring it in and £222 per hour for labour to inspect as it does not have Mobilo and MB service history.

I forwarded the email to CS and refused, citing the US recall, reports it is being replaced FOC and linked the Guardian article (https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...s-refused-to-pay-for-a-repair-to-my-rusty-car), and told them they were welcome to recover it themselves or inspect it on my driveway (as others have reported they have done previously) - it does not even require a jack for a visual inspection. I informed them that the car is worth less than £3k and beyond economic repair at their rates and sent them a photo of the MOT.

After around 10 emails back and forth and informing that I wanted to raise it to a formal complaint and will take it to the ombudsman if required, they are now responding with the exact same reply and ignored my request for their formal complaint procedures.

I have read this county court rust claim: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/...o-court-over-their-30-year-bodywork-warranty-

Is this the next step, although I have not owned from new?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I don’t know about the Motoring Ombudsman but for some of the other industries (such as financial or legal), I believe you can go direct to the Ombudsman if the company concerned have not followed their own complaints procedure or are refusing to engage properly.

OP
M

MBCF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2010

"Step 2: Have you given the business a chance to resolve the issue?​

First of all, you need to give the business the chance to sort things out before bringing your complaint to us.

Get in touch with them to explain what’s happened and let them know how you would like things to be put right.

The business then has eight weeks to give their final answer to your complaint. They can respond at any point within those eight weeks.

If at that point you’re still not happy, or the business has not responded to you, then you can bring your complaint to us.

We can only look into a case before eight weeks if the business has issued a final response and you are unhappy with it."

Based on the above, if they are sending almost identical replies that looks to be their final answer.

For clarity - all communication has been with MB CS bar the one email where I was asked to book in with a retailer and quoted £222 per hour.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
A friend of mine had the same problem with the same model of car about 3 years ago, picked up on a MOT test with a non MB garage.
He took it to MB & part exchanged it for a newer one. BM never noticed it & there was no come back.
As regards shock absorbers expect to replace them after 10 years. I had one fail on a CLK that was 7 years old, replaced it myself.

Reactions: DSK
OP
M

MBCF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2010
It is a common problem, recall and class action in the US.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Do get in touch with the Ombudsman who will no doubt direct you back to the company for a resolution BUT they will give you a case number and quote this when you do write to MBUK - it usually works wonders

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
OR

Find another dealer, call them up and say "I want to book in for a subrame inspection please". Ones that do lots will just go ahead, look at it FOC and provide you with a decision, without you spending money.

OP
M

MBCF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2010
OR

Find another dealer, call them up and say "I want to book in for a subrame inspection please". Ones that do lots will just go ahead, look at it FOC and provide you with a decision, without you spending money.
Do they charge for an inspection?

Will have to tow the car there but would be an option if they do not tie me to a £222 per hour inspection charge.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
OR

For example, MB Eastbourne (Westham) have a tech employee who pretty much just does subframes, day in - day out...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Do they charge for an inspection?

Will have to tow the car there but would be an option if they do not tie me to a £222 per hour inspection charge.
A lot of dealers will do a free safety inspection.
Mine wanted ~£130 that they wouldn’t charge if MB approved the replacement.
MB did approve the replacement so I wasn’t charged the £130

Top Bottom