C180 2.0 2001 Acceleration problem

hs500

Reaction score
Hi just got my 'new' C180, everything good, except that after a couple of minutes of driving normally, the car totally losses acceleration, more so during take-off. Its like when you press the accelerator pedal the car moves only after like 4 or 5 seconds, and that too not at normal power. Someone pointed towards the MAS and I got that changed, but the problem still persists. Got a diagnosis done today and the computer points towards a pedal limit sensor that fits under the accelerator pedal. Im thinking of giving this a shot and seeing if it sorts out the problem, but thought id ask if anyone here had a similar problem and how they sorted the problem. Will appreciate all feedback on this.

OP
H

hs500

Reaction score
additional info

sorry forgot to add that this is a C180 but a 2.0L engine, if that makes any difference !

uqstudent

Reaction score
Breather pipe

Hi hs500

I have a 95 c180 esprit and it developed similar problems recently.
I took it to the mechanic and after running diagnostics he said that the the throttle body needed replacing. If you are unaware of theis part it cost about $2500 for a new one, so i had a look at the air filter, air mass meter myself. While i was doing that i noticed that the breather pipe running from the engine itself to the air intake pipe was loose and air was beig sucked in. So i replaced it and the problem went away. Its hard to explain but the best theory i have is that more air way being sucked into the air pipe after the air mass sensor and therefore more air was entering the cylinders than what the air mass sensor had registered and the mix was too oxygen rich and resulted in lagging of acceleraton and tempoary loss of power.
I dont know for sure whether this is the solution for your problem but it saved me thousands.
This breather pipe is small and short and costs about $25 from your local mercedes dealer.

Let me know it turns out

Top Bottom