C200 1.8 petrol 2004 both keys failed to operate locking and ignition.

Andrew Galbraith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2004 1.8 Petrol
Hello to the budding diagnostic gurus,

I have been a happy mercedes owner for 20+ years and owned various CLKs and C-class.

A month or so ago i had a window washer fault and had no wipers or fluid. After looking at the replacement options I opted for a replacement unit, like for like, from Lithuania for £21.

After fitting, everything seemed to be fine but the right indicator was stuck on so stripped the indicator stalk out again and when it was all back together nothing now works.

Both key fobs now fail to lock/unlock the car on both RF or IR. (Both tested and working fine)
Both keys fail to turn in the ignition. (EIS unit sent to repair centre who tested both keys and all good).
At this point I had been through the multitude of MB forums to see if this is a common problem.
It looked like the steering lock could play a part in this (would the keys stop their remote locking function due to steering lock..seems really dubious.)
Anyho, stripped out the steering column and removed the steering lock pin and bought a £30 emulator to see if thar would help resolve, alas, no dice.

I am now stuck with a car that I cannot move (stuck in Park and cant turn ignition to release) and local fixer has offered to supply 2nd hand steering lock programmed to car for £400. I am in serious doubt that this will fix the issue I have.

I have checked all the fuses, removed and re-seated.
I have checked the battery, 12.4v constant.
I have been through the forums and done all the suggested things like disconnecting battery for 3 hours and using the metal key in the boot lock.

I would really appreciate any guidance as this is now starting to drive me up the wall.

Andy.
AF1QipOlrdzHe46W_NVwvyqPXCw3LH2rplzKCgaW2A8X

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
It sounds like you have created yourself something of a nightmare! Have you tried putting it back together with your original stalk? I can't immediately think of anything you could have disturbed that could lead to this situation, but some of the column parts when the wheel is off have long slender electrical connector pins. These are easy to bend, and hard to see if they are properly fitted. I'd start by going over all that again I think. I can't help feeling something is not correct in there. Oh, I think that emulator is not helping you either. From what I know you need to program those emulators to the EIS, but I have never used one myself.

OP
A

Andrew Galbraith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2004 1.8 Petrol
Thanks for the response. I did take a lot of care when fitting the stalk and steering position sensor. I have checked and no bemt pins etc on the connectors.
I didnt hold out much hope for the emulator but i thought it was worth a try. I just find it hard to believe that it is all related to the steering lock. Fuzzled...

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Some of what you describe does fit with steering lock problem, but in my experience that is a much more common fault on the W204 and newer cars. By you title you have a W203 C class. I have never replaced a steering lock on one of those ever I think.

OP
A

Andrew Galbraith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2004 1.8 Petrol
I'm thinking that when I removed the airbag on the last stripdown that I left keys in the ignition, could this be the root of my issues?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom