C200 2005 New Owner - Please help

gajraaj

Reaction score
Guys and Gals

First of all, I am glad to find this forum. At least for some things for the Merc comes free of cost and the same quality... like the advice on this forum.

Well... I bought a used C200 CDi 2005. I have some questions.

Infact, I was so excited while buying the car that I did not do a complete inspection of the car and I now find some things not working as they should. I am hoping to get some help from this forum.

Navigation.

1. I have a navigation DVD with the car and it works fine. I was wondering if this system can be upgraded... like upgraded maps etc.

2. The voice in the navigation system is so loud that it can be heard ourside the car. Is there any way to reduce this volume. :)

Lights

3. I see that there is a lamp in the boot of the car but it never switches on? Is there normally a switch or its automatic. Maybe the bulb is fused?

4. Isn't there an lamp in the engine compartment. I could not find it.

Mirrors

5. I have two small buttons on the left side of my steering wheel to fold and unfold the mirrors. The left mirror folds and unfolds correctly. The right one just makes a "tic" sound and get s slight jerk but does not move.

Parking sensors.

6. I there that there are parking sensors both at the front and rear bumper. There are also two display that light up red and orange in the front and rear (inside the car). There is also a switch to turn the parking senor off which lights us red once I start driving. However, these things never work when I am parking.

7. Is it possible that some of the fuses are out. I cannot find the fuse box.

I would be thankful if any of you can share some advice on these points.

Thanks in advance.

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
Guys and Gals

First of all, I am glad to find this forum. At least for some things for the Merc comes free of cost and the same quality... like the advice on this forum.

Well... I bought a used C200 CDi 2005. I have some questions.

Infact, I was so excited while buying the car that I did not do a complete inspection of the car and I now find some things not working as they should. I am hoping to get some help from this forum.

Navigation.

1. I have a navigation DVD with the car and it works fine. I was wondering if this system can be upgraded... like upgraded maps etc.

2. The voice in the navigation system is so loud that it can be heard ourside the car. Is there any way to reduce this volume. :)

Lights

3. I see that there is a lamp in the boot of the car but it never switches on? Is there normally a switch or its automatic. Maybe the bulb is fused?

Mirrors

5. I have two small buttons on the left side of my steering wheel to fold and unfold the mirrors. The left mirror folds and unfolds correctly. The right one just makes a "tic" sound and get s slight jerk but does not move.

Parking sensors.

6. I there that there are parking sensors both at the front and rear bumper. There are also two display that light up red and orange in the front and rear (inside the car). There is also a switch to turn the parking senor off which lights us red once I start driving. However, these things never work when I am parking.

I would be thankful if any of you can share some advice on these points.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcolme, I can answer a few questions but an expert will be along soon.
1. Yes you can they can be more expensive then buying a Tom Tom etc but you can get them cheaper from Ebay.

2. I'm not sure but you probably can.

3. Its automatic it could be a fuse problem.

4. No there isn't one.

5. It could be a wiring problem a simple fix.

Thats all I can answer an expert will be along soon. :)

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Guys and Gals

Navigation.

Lights

Parking sensors.

Nav voice - set it to tell you how to go somewhere (anywhere !) - as soon as the voice starts to give instructions, use the radio volume control - it adjusts the annoying woman's voice but only while she's talking!

Boot bulb - automatic - probably just the bulb - try another & if still not then it's likely a fuse

Under bonnet light - there ain't one!

Parking sensors - the light usually means they are disabled, so try with that button set the other way (light out)

Fuses - there will be dozens - someone else will advise where they are hidden.

ps - welcome :D:D

OP
G

gajraaj

Reaction score
Michael G 2 and drmw

Thanks a lot for the quick responses.

drmw, I tried the parking sensor with the switch off and on. When i switch it off, the red and orange stip of light on the dash light up with a long beep sound. However, so "sensing" actually happens even if i bang into a 10 feet solid wall. :)

thanks again.

Danny&Andrea

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270CDI Avantgarde SE Estate
I have parktronic front and rear controls also. The correct sequence with them on the front display will light up when travelling slowly towards an object and the bars should start to fill up, you will only get a beep when you have filled the whole bar into the red.

Same with the rear mounted sensor.

If they dont work like this then there is obviously a fault in the loom somewhere. My advice in this case would be to go back to the dealer and pose him the question of what he is going to do about it.:eek:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I have Parktronic front and rear controls also. The correct sequence with them on the front display will light up when travelling slowly towards an object and the bars should start to fill up, you will only get a beep when you have filled the whole bar into the red.

Same with the rear mounted sensor.

If they dont work like this then there is obviously a fault in the loom somewhere. My advice in this case would be to go back to the dealer and pose him the question of what he is going to do about it.:eek:

Might also be a damaged or displaced sensor giving a continuous signal.

Have a close look at each, especially for a dirty or dislodged sensor.

They should cancel when the car exceeds walking speed and come back on again as you slow to a halt. Pedestrians can trigger them walking across in front of the car, or behind it. That can be the only way that you can chart the progress of the little old lady who was not behind you when you started reverse parking, but is sure there now!

OP
G

gajraaj

Reaction score
Thanks again to all for the responses.

The sensors look i perfect condition. No damage or dislodging. I also cleaned them to remove dirt. No use.

When I start the car, the sensor off light (little red light on the switch) is off. when I pickup speed, it becomes on. It does not become off again when i slow down.

Thanks

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
Thanks again to all for the responses.

The sensors look i perfect condition. No damage or dislodging. I also cleaned them to remove dirt. No use.

When I start the car, the sensor off light (little red light on the switch) is off. when I pickup speed, it becomes on. It does not become off again when i slow down.

Thanks

What you are seeing is the warning light in the switch which indicates parktronic is switched off, the switch only works when the car is in drive or reverse and it will not change condition with the gearbox in park, the front sensors only work with the car in drive at speeds of less than 7 MPH, the rear sensors only work with the car in reverse at speeds of less than 7 mph.

Try switching it on and off when you are stationary in drive with your front bumper about 2 feet from a wall, now you should hear and see the response on the dashboard display.

Do the same with the car stationary in reverse and your back bumper 2 feet from the wall, again you should hear the warning and look in your rear view mirror to check the reversing sensor display above the rear window.

If this does not happen then something is definately wrong with the system, but apart from what has been said earlier I can't help with any more suggestions.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Re the navigation voice,,as the lady speaks turn the volume up, and all future commands will be at that level,if the oice is too loud, just turn the volume down as she speaks,,go into the settings and you can adjust then ratio of the level.

The mirror that does not move , it could be too tight,,spray some PTFE into the fulcrum point on the mirror, turning it by giving a helping hand.

Not clear about the parking sensors,,,when they are on as you get near to something the barograph moves further into the red

OP
G

gajraaj

Reaction score
Dear all,

first, wish you all a fabulous 2010.

i have tried some of the suggestions provided by the members here and I am pleased to say that two of my problems have been resolved very easily.

a. The PTFE spray worked for the side view mirrors. Now they fold and unfold easily and without any noise.

b. I could turn down the volume level of the GPS lady.

Thanks a lot "television" and others for the help.

The Parktronic still remains an issue. Maybe like someone said, one of the sensors is bad and that leads to the whole system malfunction.

I needs a bit of advice of another matter. As I have driven more, I realize that the shock absorption of my car is very poor. Even a small pebble on the road produced a thud.. very unlike a Mercedes. I guess because the car has been driven about 150,000 km and may be driven fast, it has caused mechanical fatigue in the suspensions. Also, I notice that when its cold, the suspensions get even harder. Do you have any suggestions here? What can be my options? Is it too expensive to have something like this fixed?

thanks again
g

djb

Reaction score
Dear all,

Also, I notice that when its cold, the suspensions get even harder. Do you have any suggestions here? What can be my options? Is it too expensive to have something like this fixed?

thanks again
g

suspension that gets hard when cold, such as the freezing weather we have recently suggests the damping oil in the shock absorbers has water in it.

had a polo years ago where the suspension became solid when the temp was below 0 c due to this.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom