C200 sport 1.6 diesel loss of power

ukbertie05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 sport
Hi all , i have a 65 plate c200 sport that has a 1.6 diesel engine , cars been running fine for the last 4 years or so . went shopping the other day and allsgood .came out of the shops started her up and drove off as usal but i noticed she wasnt soquick of the mark , drove along and it was very hard to get her up to 40 mph , on the flat as soon as went up an incline she would slow down very quickly , have an auto 7sp triptonic and she goes down the gears etc but just no power , once on flat she would pick up ( slowly ) and prob aboyt 40 mph flat out , on the downhill she will go a bit faster but its not the engine pulling but the weight momentum of the car if you understand . I have no lights on the dash ,she starts ok , no smoke or any funny noises and when in park she revs right the way up . aany help woud be very much appreciated

oscarham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1990 W126 300SE - 50 shades of blue
Hi,

Not a great deal of info to work with without being there with the car, but instantly I'm thinking possibly turbo related? I have had turbo problems before on other motors and your issue sounds pretty similar. If you are mechanically minded, or have anyone around you that is, try opening the bonnet and have someone rev the engine while the mechanic listens - you should be able to hear the turbo spooling up, even if faintly.
Failing that, £60 or so for a diagnostic from a garage could reveal all. :)

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
surprised engine management light not coming on, in fault condition ECU puts engine into a limp home mode to protect itself, have it checked for any diagnostic codes

if no codes maybe a sensor goes out of spec something that affects engine power but the ECU can't see, I would be thinking about sensors, (air, temp, crank and cam shaft sensors, O2 sensors) common rail pressure, injectors, injectors leaking fuel or compression, manifold leak/crack, turbo and EGR, soot in inlet air manifold, sticking butterfly in inlet manifold if there is one, fuel pump pressure, fuel filter, timing chain/valve gear problems, etc

Last edited:
OP
U

ukbertie05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 sport
No fault codes showing , finally took her to mercedes ( bad choice ) after charghing me £200 to diagnose they came back with boost pressure sensor , ,they say theres none in country and it will cost another £250 t fit it , so now waiting for it , i rang an independant merc garage and asked how much the sensor was as and did they have any , they said they had oem in stock and its £25.56 so mercedes are ripping me off . its a pug and play and lit takes 5 mins .

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
"mercedes are ripping me off" - Merc dealers are failing their customers miserably when it comes to them charging customers for some parts and more so with fitting.

If you can cancel the order cancel it. Order the OEM part at fit yourself.

Do post back how it goes

OP
U

ukbertie05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 sport
now had the car for 2 weeks and still not done

OP
U

ukbertie05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 sport
now been told ther is a world wide shortage of boost pressure sensors so have to wait another 3 weeks ,

OP
U

ukbertie05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 sport
They have the car , i have also told them that i have sourced 3 local independants who have oem part in stock , but they wont budge .

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Interesting. What do you mean, won't budge? The point is its your car so your choice. You have a right to cancel the work with them and take to someone else. The world wide shortages of components are a legacy of Covid and generally much better now, surely proven by the fact that indies have them in stock. Very disappointing from the MB dealer. Or as per Mioba - order and fit yourself if you are minded to and in your skillset.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom