C220 (2012) S204 Estate tailgate locked semi shut

Hugh555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 AMG Blue Efficiency Estate S204 2012
I have just broken the rear window of my C220 estate and in the process of clearing the glass I shut the tailgate manually without the electric control and the gate seems to have locked itself shut it isnt properly latched, neither the key fob or electric control on the drivers door will unlock it it tries to operate the lifting ram but the gate seems to be held by an pin ( actuator) their is no manual release on the inside of the taligate on the S204. Is the locking pin electronically controlled can it be released from the software or have i broken the locking pin actuator in place. How can i get it open.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
if you can get into the load bay, and if you can remove the tailgate door card, you might be able to work the locking mechanism from there. i had similar, but not the same with our 211. fortunately , that has the internal 'handle' kit from the 7 seater, which is hidden behind a plastic grommet on that model. Unlikely to be the same on the C class, but you never know. is there a grommet/cover thing in the middle of the card?

OP
H

Hugh555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if you can get into the load bay, and if you can remove the tailgate door card, you might be able to work the locking mechanism from there. i had similar, but not the same with our 211. fortunately , that has the internal 'handle' kit from the 7 seater, which is hidden behind a plastic grommet on that model. Unlikely to be the same on the C class, but you never know. is there a grommet/cover thing in the middle of the card?
I took the back panel off to clear out the glass fragments it exposes the top of the lock and cable which pulls the door up tight but it doesnt seem to deactivate what appears to be a deadlock (actuator) that holds the door shut. I did manage to put the key into the manual release mechanism although this doesn't feel correct and it operates the door pull (tightener cycle but again it doesnt release the deadlock. when the door has gone through its pull down cycle it releases onto what seems to be the deadlock pin, the door at this point is loose and moves / rattles several mm away from the seal. I wondered if there is some electric code fault that needs to be cleared down to release the pin or has something broken in the lock. if the locks broken in a closed position what do you do to get it open ?

Last edited:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I'm pretty certain the owners manual has something about an emergency release for the tailgate on the inside of the tailgate, as some months ago I had to investigate releasing the tailgate as the battery was flat, I opened the drivers door with the emergency key, got the bonnet open and put a charger on the jump start points on the NS but still could not release the tailgate. Getting into the boot by wriggling between the front seats and folding the 40% was not an option for me without a paramedic on standby, so I called out the breakdown mob, he put his large jump start pack on the emergency points under the bonnet and we were then able to electrically release the tailgate, but as I said I'm pretty sure I found a way to manually release the tailgate from the inside in my owners manual.

OP
H

Hugh555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm pretty certain the owners manual has something about an emergency release for the tailgate on the inside of the tailgate, as some months ago I had to investigate releasing the tailgate as the battery was flat, I opened the drivers door with the emergency key, got the bonnet open and put a charger on the jump start points on the NS but still could not release the tailgate. Getting into the boot by wriggling between the front seats and folding the 40% was not an option for me without a paramedic on standby, so I called out the breakdown mob, he put his large jump start pack on the emergency points under the bonnet and we were then able to electrically release the tailgate, but as I said I'm pretty sure I found a way to manually release the tailgate from the inside in my owners manual.
mine is different its a c220 estate (tailgate) and its semi shut its not pulled down tight seems like a software issue or someting jammed / broken either way nto sure now how to open without resorting to cutting tools

OP
H

Hugh555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to clarify my problem is the tailgate is not completly shut tight and is stuck locked The gate moves/ rattles about 3mm. I have tried using the metal key inseted into the inside of the tailgate lock (I also have the internal back panel off so you can see the top of the lock) all the key does is force the Electric pull down it doesn't undo what seems to be the deadlock which is holding the tailgate onto the body hook. The key fob electric switch on the drivers door and back door handle will not open the door they force the pull down precedure or try to open the gate but the deadlock will not release? someone must of had this problem i wonder if its a software issue or if some part of the internal lock is broken. I have Autoglass replacing the glass tomorrow which they will be able to do but that will still leave the gate locked shut

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom