C238/E400 rear brakes need replacing, which should i get, Mercedes parts or Brembo

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
hi
my rear discs/pads need replacing, I got a quote from Mercedes and it was a whopping 7483 SEK (approx 700 euros) for the parts only (discs+pads+sensor)

I checked autodoc and the Brembo parts for my car would cost 4154 SEK (approx 400 euros),
so which should I go for ? saving 300 euros sounds nice, and Brembos are what the original Mercedes parts are anyway, right ?

thoughts ?

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
In my opinion it depends on the age of your car, if less than 3 years and still on manufacture warranty I would go MB but if out of warranty then Brembo installed by an Indie...

This is to avoid any possible arguments later...

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I’m sure folks will recall my recent thread of where new genuine w221 discs fell apart! I wouldn’t trust an MB part for quality.

Many new cars have a similar wear signs which indicates poor material.

The replacement Brembo discs and pads sourced from ECP in comparison, are fine with no concerns.

Original doesn’t mean best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
so I replaced the rear brakes last weekend, and to my shock one of the 4 glide pins had seized with rust as the rubber protector cover was half on/half off (for unknown reasons). I've never noticed an issue with braking on the rear of the car so this was news to me. I spent 40 minutes heating the caliper with heat and levering the pin back/forth until I got it loose, after freeing it I sanded out the rust from the pin and the hole it goes into and then cleaned and regreased with new grease.

That said, i'd like to order new glide pins, does anyone know the part number ? it's for a C238 rear brakes, and is pretty much the same as a W213....

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I’m sure folks will recall my recent thread of where new genuine w221 discs fell apart! I wouldn’t trust an MB part for quality.

Many new cars have a similar wear signs which indicates poor material.

The replacement Brembo discs and pads sourced from ECP in comparison, are fine with no concerns.

Original doesn’t mean best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. Discs now made of chocolate, 1 sets discs to 3 set pads is nuts and in my view crap materials. These days they are all at it regards quality.

Reactions: DSK

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Agreed. Discs now made of chocolate, 1 sets discs to 3 set pads is nuts and in my view crap materials. These days they are all at it regards quality.
I understand that pads are generally harder these days due to the lack of asbestos in them. So the options are .... asbestosis or longer lasting discs. ;)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
After 2 sets of failed pattern discs (due to discs "warping") many years ago supplied by an 'international brakes' :rolleyes: supplier, who were then not interested because they said I'd not fitted them correctly, I now only buy OE discs (whoever that OE might be)
Cheaper & easier in the long run.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I understand that pads are generally harder these days due to the lack of asbestos in them. So the options are .... asbestosis or longer lasting discs. ;)
Wow every day a school day!

So are all the old Kwik Fitters suing the company

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Given the nu of yrs in industry and the 100 Yr of usage I not to concerned about pad material
My w208 discs were still working at 20 Yr? I did change em, replacements warped so put old ones back on.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom