c240 V6 Spark Plug Replacement

C240yaz

Reaction score
West Scotland, not far from Mull of Kintyre
Hi all,

Can you technical guys out there give me some needed advice ?

I have read the past posts on Spark Plugs, but there does not seem to be a step by step instruction on how to replace all 12 plugs on a C240.

Before I attempt this, very soon, can anyone let me know what tools are required. MM size of the plug removal spanner, etc etc.

Are the two plugs closest to the bulk head really that difficult to replace and is there really a risk of damaging the leads while removing ?

Also, I was going to go ahead and order replacement plugs from www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk. Anyone know of a better place to buy ?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I did mine on the E240. Yes it's a bugger of a job but it can be done with a few scraped knuckes.
I'd recommend removing the engine cover and possibley the intake pipe to gain better access. I left the cover on and it was a mistake as apart from it obscuring my view, I cracked it leaning over.
Open the bonnet fully upright and away you go.
You will need a non standard plug spanner - can't remember the spec but it was a narrow one, plus several bars and a UJ. The leads are very stiff and you must ensure that you put each one back till it clicks. I didn't damage mine and I was fairly rough with them, but the leads on that model generally cause lumpy running after 3 years or so, so a new set may not go amiss whilst you're at it.

OP
C240yaz

C240yaz

Reaction score
JBerks, thanks for the reply. "Several bars"....is this for leverage on the plug spanner ?

Anyone else got the actuall size of the plug spanner required and is it available in Halfords or other outlet ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Re taking off the plug covers, it is better to lever them off with a spanner over the top of the rocker cover, just slip an open ended spanner under the pkul cap and lever off, this way you do not damage the leads.

OP
C240yaz

C240yaz

Reaction score
Malcolm,

Thanks for this tip on the spanner leverage. Understand fully. Any idea on the plug spanner size in mm. Would a normal plug spanner do, or socket set type be more practical ?

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Part number of the best tool for the job: 110 589 01 01 00

Every tech in the MB workshop has one to do plugs with (even me). It is a MB number and you can order it from your friendly MB parts dept.

It is actually a tool for the 110 engine (valve adjustment)

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Part number of the best tool for the job: 110 589 01 01 00

Every tech in the MB workshop has one to do plugs with (even me). It is a MB number and you can order it from your friendly MB parts dept.

It is actually a tool for the 110 engine (valve adjustment)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Malcolm,

Thanks for this tip on the spanner leverage. Understand fully. Any idea on the plug spanner size in mm. Would a normal plug spanner do, or socket set type be more practical ?

It's a nice idea and certainly worth a go, but I challenge you to get a spanner to many of them on this engine! Most are deep inside a recess with very little space between them and the bodywork, often with the head overhanging making the recess invisble - hence lots of leaning over and dexterity needed. Many of the plugs I had to get to by touch - I couldn't see them at all.
The bars and UJ will be needed to get a plug spanner on the plug and still have the ratchet somewhere that you can turn it. For some, I could only get 1/16th turn at a time. The ones at the rear of the engine are particularly tricky as they are effectively between the engine and the firewall. The leads are also very tight as they're held on by a strong metal spring in that sits in the slot on the brass cap. Refitting them was done by putting all my weight on it and rocking side to side until it clicked home (x12).

Don't get me wrong, it is do-able - I did it, but it is a bugger - took me 2 1/2 hours and I couldn't feel my fingers at the end. But then I am a desk jockey not a full time mechanic so perhaps I'm missing the knack and strong fingers.

The tool listed above sounds promising. After all, BlackC55 knows what hes talking about so it's certainly worth looking into.

OP
C240yaz

C240yaz

Reaction score
Black C55.

Thanks for the P/N on the Merc tool. I will go ahead and buy/order from MB Glasgow within the next few days (30 miles away from home though).

Sorry to everyone if my recent questions seem a bit "silly". Although I am a truck mechanic to trade, I have been away from the tools for 15 years plus, so a little bit nervous about "jumping in there" especially on a MB !

OP
C240yaz

C240yaz

Reaction score
Spark Plug tool P/N 110 589 01 01 00

For anyone interested, Just checked out the price of the spanner P/N 110 589 01 01 00 on MB parts page. £26.78 including vat and shipping.

I think I will go ahead and order one...... soon.

OP
C240yaz

C240yaz

Reaction score
MB Spark plug spanner. (Tappets)

I got the spanner delivered today. Correct P/N. Looking at it, I am puzzled on how I approach any plug neither straight on or at any angle. Do I need to bend the spanner by heating it with a blow torch ? It is more than a foot long and straight.

Tackle from below the engine or above ? Remove any parts from the engine to give more access ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
you use it above the engine over the rocker cover, I have a picture somewhere I will try and find it

Top Bottom