C250 AUTO ENGINE/GEARBOX PROBLEMS

JoshSalter912

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Auto 2011
Hello,

I have recently purchased a C250 2011 Auto Diesel that has done 86k miles. The car just passed MOT with no advisories the day before it was delivered to me. The day after delivery, when starting the car from cold (first thing in the morning) the car was stalling and the engine cutting out (with no lights coming onto the dashboard signifying a problem). After speaking with the seller, he informed me that the car needs to stay idle for a minute or two before starting to drive, and since following this advice, the car has mostly started fine, aside from one morning where it stalled twice. The garage informed me that they had recently replaced the torque converter but did not have proof as they paid cash (sounds like BS). I am aware that the car should not be stalling, and I am wondering what the problem might be?

I also notice that the car seems to puff out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust, usually when starting up, or after coming to a stop and then driving again - there is also a strong smell but I cannot determine what of (just smells weird) However there was no Leaks reported on its MOT.

Clearly something is wrong with the car, and the seller/dealership have not been very helpful, and I’m pretty sure they are hiding things from me. I made sure to get the dealership to sign into a contract that states if anything is wrong with the gearbox or engine within 28 days, they will pay for full repair. It is worth noting that I have only had this car for a week.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
He is talking bollocks.

Is it a actual dealer? You did say "seller/dealership" which is an odd way of saying whatever they are - if dealership, take it back for a full refund.

OP
J

JoshSalter912

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Auto 2011
The seller is the manager of a dealership named EMQ Cars. Do you not think it’s worth me getting it seen by a garage, getting the repairs done and then invoicing him for it?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Reject the car you could be letting yourself in for a lot of trouble if you accept a repair - the car shouldn’t be blowing smoke out of the exhaust or stalling when you put it in drive.

OP
J

JoshSalter912

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Auto 2011
Okay - thanks for your help. I definitely shouldn’t go down the route of repairing?

Bill Farlow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Car 1 2011 c200 w204 om651 cdi Car 2 1996 C180 W202 Esprit Petrol 1.8 liter 4 speed automatic
Hello,

I have recently purchased a C250 2011 Auto Diesel that has done 86k miles. The car just passed MOT with no advisories the day before it was delivered to me. The day after delivery, when starting the car from cold (first thing in the morning) the car was stalling and the engine cutting out (with no lights coming onto the dashboard signifying a problem). After speaking with the seller, he informed me that the car needs to stay idle for a minute or two before starting to drive, and since following this advice, the car has mostly started fine, aside from one morning where it stalled twice. The garage informed me that they had recently replaced the torque converter but did not have proof as they paid cash (sounds like BS). I am aware that the car should not be stalling, and I am wondering what the problem might be?

I also notice that the car seems to puff out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust, usually when starting up, or after coming to a stop and then driving again - there is also a strong smell but I cannot determine what of (just smells weird) However there was no Leaks reported on its MOT.

Clearly something is wrong with the car, and the seller/dealership have not been very helpful, and I’m pretty sure they are hiding things from me. I made sure to get the dealership to sign into a contract that states if anything is wrong with the gearbox or engine within 28 days, they will pay for full repair. It is worth noting that I have only had this car for a week.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Why wud u? Get shot of it back to supplier, go find something else.. modern post 2005 mb, s can be money pits

OP
J

JoshSalter912

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Auto 2011
It’s also worth noting that the coolant temp only raises from 40 degrees to about 50 degrees (far short of the 80/90 that is required) unsure if this could be related to any of the problems I’ve had

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
The seller is obv mates with the MOT station. Got an MOT yet is smokes.
A car shouldnt stall if in good fettle.
Seems to me you been sold a dodgy car and the sellers knows it (lack of help).
Get your trading standards involved, get the car to seller and get a refund.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
It’s also worth noting that the coolant temp only raises from 40 degrees to about 50 degrees (far short of the 80/90 that is required) unsure if this could be related to any of the problems I’ve had
thats your thermostat

Bill Farlow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Car 1 2011 c200 w204 om651 cdi Car 2 1996 C180 W202 Esprit Petrol 1.8 liter 4 speed automatic
Hi Josh This is my first post on this site and as a retired motor mechanic/diesel fitter and owning a 2011 c200 cdi you should return to the dealer /seller and make a big noise as he has a duty of care to any work that he said that has been done regardless of age of the vehicle. Here in Australia class A warranty he has to warrant the vehicle for 5000km since taking possession or 3 months . Class B warranty is 5000km or 1 month by federal/state law and I feel that there would be some other come back clause in the UK. Do not wait too long. Strike while you have some comeback or at least get the claim documented. They will stall till the 28 days so get packing. Get the RAC or what you have over there to write a report on it as it will be money well spent. Good luck regards Bill

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
Reject the car ASAP. Taking it to a main Mercedes dealership for a full formal assessment as to what ails the car may help you reject it.

OP
J

JoshSalter912

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Auto 2011
Is it not a bit weird that there are no lights coming onto the dash, and when I’ve plugged it into code reader, there are no codes and nothing previously cleared?

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
I understand your angst, but there are loads out there that will behave.
I think one of the problems is "The seller is the manager of a dealership named EMQ Cars." - what is on the receipt - the "seller" or EMQ? Who did you pay?
If it's EMQ then simple - if you actually bought it from the "seller" and paid him the cash it gets more difficult
Hopefully it will be EMQ - take it back & don't take any of the "bring it back so our garage can look at it"

OP
J

JoshSalter912

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Auto 2011
I paid into EMQ Cars business bank account. Also the check engine light just came on and code reader displayed P2263 code which is something wrong with turbocharger. A whole new problem. Cant believe it’s been 5 days I’ve had the vehicle

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Under Consumer Protection legislation, you are entitled to reject the car and get a full refund. There are clearly problems with this car and who knows what else will turn up. Reject and get your money back and, as said above, get Trading Standards involved if you get any resistance from the dealer,

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom