c250 - TPMS keeps tripping

deviousrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 Sport 2013
Good morning,

i was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tell if i have 'real' TPMS i.e. the sensor within the wheel or the ABS type TPMS in a 2013 C250 (W204 i believe).

i have a weird problem where the sensor keeps tripping, i have reset it through the dash menu, that clears it, then after a stop / engine off, start and drive for a few miles it comes back on.

i have checked the tyres (always a first point of call i agree!) and they are stable pressures so i was wondering if its a case of having 'real' sensors and battery going flat?

if its the ABS type sensors is there a way to clean them just to rule that out?

many thanks for any ideas!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Good morning,

i was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tell if i have 'real' TPMS i.e. the sensor within the wheel or the ABS type TPMS in a 2013 C250 (W204 i believe).

i have a weird problem where the sensor keeps tripping, i have reset it through the dash menu, that clears it, then after a stop / engine off, start and drive for a few miles it comes back on.

i have checked the tyres (always a first point of call i agree!) and they are stable pressures so i was wondering if its a case of having 'real' sensors and battery going flat?

if its the ABS type sensors is there a way to clean them just to rule that out?

many thanks for any ideas!
Is this a recent buy and has the system ever worked? I ask because we had the same problem , clearing warning and it coming back again. Turned out that a previous owner had removed all the TPMS sensors from the wheels. OEM ones in any event have a limited life (battery operated) and are roughly £600 ish to replace , so some simply remove them. Sorry but I don't know whether your model has this older type or not. Someone on here will be able to say.

OP
D

deviousrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 Sport 2013
Is this a recent buy and has the system ever worked? I ask because we had the same problem , clearing warning and it coming back again. Turned out that a previous owner had removed all the TPMS sensors from the wheels. OEM ones in any event have a limited life (battery operated) and are roughly £600 ish to replace , so some simply remove them. Sorry but I don't know whether your model has this older type or not. Someone on here will be able to say.

good point, sorry i should have been clearer on those points!

no the car is not new to me ive had it years and its been fine. no recent tire changes.
cars done just over 100k and has until now been rock solid

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
good point, sorry i should have been clearer on those points!

no the car is not new to me ive had it years and its been fine. no recent tire changes.
cars done just over 100k and has until now been rock solid
Ah in that case could just be failing TPMS sensors if you have that type of system.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
If the dash shows a picture of a car, with pressures shown for each wheel, you have sensors.
If it shows "press Ok to reset" or something similair, then its passive through the ABS sensors.

OP
D

deviousrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 Sport 2013
If the dash shows a picture of a car, with pressures shown for each wheel, you have sensors.
If it shows "press Ok to reset" or something similair, then its passive through the ABS sensors.
thanks thats great, mine defo doesnt show each tyres its just a generic - press okay to reset type.

so assuming its the ABS sensors any idea why it would show a TPMS error and not anything ABS related as im sure thats not lighting up?

worth cleaning them or just take it into a garage?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks thats great, mine defo doesnt show each tyres its just a generic - press okay to reset type.

so assuming its the ABS sensors any idea why it would show a TPMS error and not anything ABS related as im sure thats not lighting up?

worth cleaning them or just take it into a garage?

Do you have the correct tyre sizes fitted all around?

Does it come on above a certain speed only. It is unusual that its not giving an ABS error. Do you perhaps have 1 new tyre and 3 worn ones?

OP
D

deviousrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 Sport 2013
Do you have the correct tyre sizes fitted all around?

Does it come on above a certain speed only. It is unusual that its not giving an ABS error. Do you perhaps have 1 new tyre and 3 worn ones?

all 4 were replaced at the same time about 6 months ago and it didnt start straight after that (only started about a week ago), nothing wrong on inspection of the tires (my first thought when it came up was a flat / puncture so i checked all 4)

it doesnt seem speed related it seems to be i have to drive a few miles after clearing it for it to somehow register it and flag it up again. Its as if clearing it resets it and then it takes a while for the sensors to think there is a fault....

all very odd, and i dont like odd because odd usually translates to expensive!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all 4 were replaced at the same time about 6 months ago and it didnt start straight after that (only started about a week ago), nothing wrong on inspection of the tires (my first thought when it came up was a flat / puncture so i checked all 4)

it doesnt seem speed related it seems to be i have to drive a few miles after clearing it for it to somehow register it and flag it up again. Its as if clearing it resets it and then it takes a while for the sensors to think there is a fault....

all very odd, and i dont like odd because odd usually translates to expensive!

Id put it on diagonstics and drive in a straight line, to see if the speeds all match up.

Do check that the tyres are all the same size though, people do make mistakes!

I assume we have checked the basics that you do not have a slow puncture?

The dash is only to be reset once all the tyres have been pumped up to the same pressure.

OP
D

deviousrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 Sport 2013
Id put it on diagonstics and drive in a straight line, to see if the speeds all match up.

Do check that the tyres are all the same size though, people do make mistakes!

I assume we have checked the basics that you do not have a slow puncture?

The dash is only to be reset once all the tyres have been pumped up to the same pressure.

thanks, i'll get it on the computer!

yeah ive been checking for punctures daily due to my paranoia!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

you can buy a tool to program (to match the ones there) and 4 sensors as good as the std ones for £100
if keen and mildly handy you can buy batteries for a Nintendo and using a Dremel and some hot melt glue replace all four for 12 quid

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
guy at work with 2015 E class same issue....

walked round the car and said the sensor on the right rear wheel's missing..... not surprising reset on the dash does nothing..

also one for the doubters... no individual tyre pressure readout on the dash, even though its well specced with silly LEDs, comand, front collision camera and the speedo centre where the TPMS menus are is clearly a TV screen - so no doubt a quick click or software tweak with dealer tools would turn it on in the display

FYI any car with TPMS and a light on the dash made after 2012 is a MOT failure

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom